mepeace.org

I share this news story regardless of my refusal to such initiatives but I would love to read your comments and views with respect to "One-State Solution" for Palestinians and Israelis

Senior Fatah officials  call for single democratic state, not two-state solution

New initiative would allow Palestinian refugees the right of return to 'a state of all its citizens.'

Calling the two-state solution unrealistic, senior Fatah members issued a document Wednesday calling for the establishment of one democratic country in the area between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River.

The initiative, which was the culmination of two years of discussion, coincided with the 65th anniversary of the Nakba ‏(“catastrophe” in Arabic‏) − the forced exile of more than 700,000 Palestinians in 1948 and after and the dispersal of the Palestinian people between different countries and regimes.

While the Palestinian Liberation Organization held a small procession in Ramallah to mark the Nakba on Wednesday, some 20 men and two women congregated in a hall in the El Bireh municipality to sign the document called “the popular movement project for one democratic state in historic Palestine.”

It states that “the racist Israeli policy of separation and segregation” has made the two-state solution ‏(based on pre-1967 borders‏) unrealistic. Therefore, the most desirable option left for the Palestinian people and the one that will allow the right of return is: “a democratic state for all its citizens, which will be based on a democratic constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and will guarantee freedom and equal rights, without discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, skin color, language, nationality, political opinion, social origin and place of birth.”

Most of the participants behind the initiative are identified with Fatah; a minority are members of other organizations in the PLO. They include Fatah member Radi Jarai, the former deputy director for prisoner affairs; Munir Abushi, the former governor of Salfit; and Prof. Uri Davis from the department of Israel studies at Al Quds University. When asked by Haaretz whether the intention was for “one state of the Palestinian people and members of the Jewish religion and others,” Davis responded that members were still discussing different concepts and definitions, and that he personally supports “one state for two peoples.”

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holistically, it has been claimed "a democratic secular Palestine," but it has not gone any further than that.  Nothing about a constitution with two sets of civil codes in it.  Land ownership.  Defense or anything.  If we are envisioning a Belgian-style federation, what would be the final product?  Belgium went through growing pains to achieve that, Flemish was not made into an official language until 1898, when the country got its independence from the Netherlands in 1830.  Both the Flemings and Walloons have threatened to break off into separate countries, but the only thing that has prevented them from doing so, is that it would be a fiscal nightmare if they did.

There problem!

This is great news!  I have long felt that the solution required a single democratic state with justice for all its citizens.  Attempting to maintain a democracy for one peoples only is a built in contradiction that is not sustainable in the long-term.  Where else on the earth would a democracy for some of its citizens but not all citizens be acceptable?  For those who claim that Israel is a state for all its people: Jew and non-Jew alike, I encourage you to do more research and you will learn that there are two sets of laws: one for Jewish citizens and another for non-Jews.  This sort of state-sponsored bias does not belong in a democracy.  Thus, if the ideals of democracy are the guiding tenets of the state of Israel, the internal and external pressure will bring about a maturing process that will involve equal rights for all citizens and an end to the occupation as well. 

Certainly a one-state solution, that is not based on religious affiliation, seems the wisest approach that I have come across.  This approach is not without difficulties, and trust will need to be built, which will not be easy, but it is necessary for all people of the region to begin to live in peace with equal rights for all!  I am sending my prayer into the cosmos that the transition to justice unfold like velvet with as little harm experienced as possible.  May it be so! 

Israel does not have a written constitution, but India and Belgium do.  In India's constitution are two sets of civll codes -- one for Hindus, and the other for Muslims.  In Belgium's constitution are two sets of civil codes -- one for Flemings, and the other for Walloons.  Both India and Belgium has always been democracies, but Belgium which got its independence from the Netherlands in 1830, did not established its two sets of civil codes until 1898.  So saying Israel is not a democracy, because it has two sets of civll codes, is not really factually correct.

Essrea - Please explain what you mean by these two sets of laws, I am not sure what you are referring to...Also, please understand that the Arab citizens in Israel are the only free Arabs in the Arab world or even the muslum  world.

As for a one democratic state to include Palestinians, how many Arab states do you know that are democratic  why would the Jew and Arab citizens of Israel want to risk there freedom?  Look at the Arab world, the fighting between all these "mixed" states Sunnis, Shiat, Alaway and the prosecution of minorities, why would anyone want to bring that into the borders.... The partition plan had it right, 2 states in Palestine an Arab and a Jewish one... Let the Arabs rule as they choose with their dictators and leave the Jews to live in their liberal open democracy...

To be Jew is not to be from the Jewish religion - I am an atheist Jew -

To be Jew is to be of Jewish Culture, History, etc.

Please check your information before writing it.

Would you aid our nonprofit and non governmental organization: 

iartexpo2012 art as a bridge for peace (artexpo at usa.com)

I am the founder and the organizer of : Iartexpo art as a bridge for peace, International art    expo and exhibit,a non profit organization,to help Israelis and Palestinians artists, to exhibit together to dialogue together.. Here in    Israel.and (hope) in Ramallah

Please visit: http://iartexpo.jimdo.com

Face book page iartexpo2012 art as a bridge for peace

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iartexpo2012-Art-as-a-bridge-for-Pea...

I hope you like the idea.

We are starving for aid and help,  

This is a valuable project you can responsibly support and make your contribution. We need resources.We seek for Sponsors

Please help me realize this dream.

Salam.Shalom.Pax.Peace

Like our page

SPREAD THE WORD!

Jacques Banne

a sad example how people reject the other side perspectives and try to force their one sided solution. You can find such people in Israel two and they actually work together to make the conflict un resolvable.

Hello Neri and David.  There will never be a negotiated peace settlement.

Israel is not prepared to make a civilized offer, and the Palestinians are not going to accept peanuts.

Things have been this way since 1949, when the UN made a very good offer to Israel - to recognize Israel's extended borders, in return for Israel allowing all the refugees to return. The UN should have sent in troops to ensure all Palestinian refugees were able to safely return, or alternatively, the UN should have forced Israel back to the original Partition Plan borders.

Zionism is premised on colonialism: the colonialist attitude of using military might to expand into surrounding territory. Native people die or are killed, but, the Arabs of Palestine have proved to be more tenacious and resilient than Ben-Gurion anticipated.

This has been an never-ending war. The Arabs use whatever weapons come to hand, the only alternative being gradual asphyxiation.

Palestinians are staying focused on their immediate needs, which they recently expressed in this summary:

We call for a ceasefire only when negotiated conditions result in the following:

• Freedom of movement of Palestinians in and out of the Gaza Strip.
  • Unlimited import and export of supplies and goods, including by land, sea and air.
  • Unrestricted use of the Gaza seaport.
  • Monitoring and enforcement of these agreements by a body appointed by the United Nations, with appropriate security measures.

Each of these expectations is taken for granted by most countries. It is time for the Palestinians of Gaza to be accorded the human rights they deserve.

David, the things I say have very little, if any, impact on the Arabs of Palestine. They like my support, in fact they love my support, but even without this support, the main difference is that they would feel, as they did for many years, very isolated. They would still behave and react in the same way, with or without my verbal support.

No matter what form of protest the Palestinians chose, they are criticized.  The reality is, they had the right to live in their homes, unmolested by the aggressive newcomers who treated them with utter contempt and ferocious military violence. The purpose of the UN is meant to be to protect these vulnerable countries.

The media is culpable for pretending to provide news, yet all the while lying about the reality of life in Israel. I suspect the day is coming when the media will be sued for this kind of deliberate and systematic misrepresentation.

Peace will come, possibly when the USA gives up on protecting Israel. Maybe the USA will offer Israeli Jews American citizenship. Otherwise, everyone will discover they actually can live together, if they are political and economic equals.

For now, we are all stuck with this impasse. 

Sussan,

Your revisionist history is not the point.... Hamas the recognized terrorist organization is shoot missiles from packed civilian areas, hospitals, homes, kindergartens trying to kill as many innocent Jews as possible....  Israel is defending itself... tell them to stop firing they are the cause of so much death and causalties on both sides... I am so sad to see all the death and destruction they have brought to the people of Gaza and the terror and death they have brought to Israelis, Jews and Arabs alike....    The whole world can see this it is time u accepted the truth..

Political Approaches to COexistence (PACO)       by Howard Cort, howard@approachestocoexistence.com, 8/7/14, Chicago, US

Now that John Kerry's  recent virtuoso  attempt to
kick-start  the Two-State Solution was clearly unsuccessful,   and
both sides have once again demonstrated their reliance on violence, is it not time  to
heed Einstein's  description of stupidity;  repeatedly  trying what
has proven    unsuccessful?   Might not this  conclusion  be relevant to  both the
Two-state Solution  and reliance upon violent war?

It would seem so,
   especially  since  there are plenty of alternative approaches  on
the  shelf,  including   Ali Abunimah's    One Country  (2007), Esther
Riley's Parity for Peace (200 ), and  Mossberg nd Levine's Parallel  States  (2014)

And the following   are details about my recent proposal--PACO--
which  means  PEACE in  Esperanto, and  stands  for  a  Political
Approach to Israeli- Palestinian  COexistence:  Israel-Palestine.  Now
being constantly revised,  the following is  a bird's eye view of PACO:

A  joint country, with;  one area havingr a constitutionally
Israeli majority population  and the  other with a  constitutionally 
Palestinian  majority population, a  joint capital, Jerusalem, similarly
divided,   each individual's  choice of area citizenship ,  equal
rights  for all, citizenship status  and legal residence not
necessarily  the same, eligibility of  all to reside  anywhere in
the joint country,  either as a  citizen or a  legal resident,   equal
access to all infrastructure resources,   substantial  autonomy for
both areas,  constitutional defense security guarantees  for both  areas and their
populations,  the right of return  for  all Jews and Palestinians,
alike,  with financial compensation for  the families  of  all  those
Jews and Palestinians  involuntarily exiled from Palestine before
1948, and from  Israel and the Middle East  since 1948.

Further details forthcoming.   Input requested.

Hello,

Would you aid our nonprofit and non governmental organization: 

iartexpo2012 art as a bridge for peace (artexpo at usa.com)

I am the founder and the organizer of : Iartexpo art as a bridge for peace, International art    expo and exhibit,a non profit organization,to help Israelis and Palestinians artists, to exhibit together to dialogue together.. Here in    Israel.and (hope) in Ramallah

Please visit: http://iartexpo.jimdo.com

Face book page iartexpo2012 art as a bridge for peace

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iartexpo2012-Art-as-a-bridge-for-Pea...

I hope you like the idea.

We are starving for aid and help,  

This is a valuable project you can responsibly support and make your contribution. We need resources.We seek for Sponsors

Please help me realize this dream.

Salam.Shalom.Pax.Peace

Like our page

SPREAD THE WORD!

Jacques Banne

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Christopher Stewart posted a blog post
14 hours ago
Datastat Research Center posted events
Saturday
Datastat Research Center posted events
Jan 9
Datastat Research Center joined a group
Thumbnail

Peace NGO Forum

network of Palestinian and Israeli NGOs working towards peaceful relations. As strength is found in…See More
Jan 9
Eyal Raviv posted a discussion

Uri Avnery: Why I am Angry

Uri Avnery's Column (Reprinted on mepeace.org with the express permission of Uri Avnery) ​Why I am…See More
Jan 6
Dr. Nabeel Awaad shared Eva's video on Facebook
Jan 5
David Graycat posted discussions
Jan 3
David Graycat posted a discussion

I am sorry but this is totally gay in the bad way. How can we have peace with Netanyahu in charge?

Bibi is just some guy who thinks is such a victim while he orders out strikes on brown people’s…See More
Jan 2

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service