mepeace.org

MEPEACE.org Chat 28 Mar - After-event discussion - Buildings and Monuments as Symbols of Exclusion, Separation and Conflict ?

Dear Peacemakers!

After each MEPEACE.org Chat Workshop (a new kind of event taking place every second Sunday in MEPEACE.org Chat), we (the MEPEACE Dialogue Team, that is Cigdem Yilmazer, Jessica de Souza, Johanna Silverthorne and myself) open a dedicated 'after-event discussion', in order to give the workshop participants and other interested members the chance to elaborate on their points raised during the workshop, share new ideas on the respective topic with others, and discuss with others about the topic.

Information about our event which successfully took place on 28 March can be found here:

http://www.mepeace.org/events/mepeace-chat-march-28

Please also have a look at the attached written summary (PDF) of the workshop!

The leading questions were

Why do we tend to talk more about similarities/differences instead of figuring out ways to live together? What is the role of (physical) symbols in that?

Why is it so important to show 'others' that 'we' are different?

During the 90 minutes of live discussion, the various participants, together with the moderators, already addressed these questions to a large extent. However, feel free to add anything here. But please stick to the topic

Buildings and monuments as symbols of exclusion, separation and conflict ?

The Dialogue Team won't interfere in this discussion - however, take into account that 'normal' moderation (as in every other discussion) applies - so please observe the MEPEACE.org Guidelines.

This discussion will be open for replies and comments until Saturday, 10 April, the day before the next MEPEACE.org Chat, on Sunday, 11 April. Hence, there will therefore only be one 'open' after-event discussion at any one time.

Views: 61

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent.
Well done. Thanks to Oliver and Cigdem who moderated this chat workshop. I enjoyed being there.
Thanks Waleed & Eyal!
Hi, Oliver. How are you? I'm sorry I missed this past Sunday's chat about signs and symbols. I think we think it's important to show people that we're different to some extent. For example, we like to think we're better at treating people with respect and dignity than other people are. The truth is, we're not really better or worse than others when it comes to inclusion of people who have different views on any subject. As for buildings and monuments, it depends on whom those buildings or monuments intend to separate from us and how we benefit from them. Buildings are designed to shelter people and sometimes to imprison them.
I really enjoyed this talk!

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Kayi Mivedo updated their profile
Tuesday
Eyal Raviv posted a discussion

Uri Avnery: Siamese Twins

Uri Avnery's Column(Reprinted on mepeace.org with the express permission of Uri Avnery)​Siamese…See More
Saturday
Fatma Eldesouky updated their profile
Jun 13
Linda Nothing posted a status
May 27
James OFFUH and Linda Nothing are now friends
May 26
Eyal Raviv posted a discussion

Uri Avnery: The Luck of the Gambler

Uri Avnery's Column(Reprinted on mepeace.org with the express permission of Uri Avnery)​The Luck of…See More
May 25
Profile IconLinda Nothing and Fatma Eldesouky joined mepeace.org
May 25
Datastat Research Center posted events
May 17

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service