mepeace.org

State of Palestine and Approval of Building New Settlements

On November 29, 2012 "The International Day of Solidarity with Palestine" the United Nations General Assembly approved Palestine as a non-member state .. This means that Palestine is recognized as a state after 18 years of being known as "Palestinian Territory" .. One day after the vote The Israeli government started announcing new plans to build more settler houses and extend some settlements especially in East Jerusalem .. 

Three days ago the Israeli government approved building 3,000 settler houses in East Jerusalem .. The Israeli government approved building 3,600 new settler houses in East Jerusalem yesterday .. A new plan to build 1,600 settler houses might be approved next week .. Israel has kept building the settlements by confiscating Palestinian lands .. I wonder whether two-state solution is still alive and the opportunity to make the "State of Palestine" exist on ground is available .. 

I'm disappointed and hopeless with respect to the "State of Palestine"

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tim. You may not have heard of us since we are not a humanitarian organisation. As Sussan mentioned above, such organizations only preserve existing patterns. They make life for the Palestinians slightly bearable, but they do not solve the conflict. I do not mean to disparage their work in any way, but I think that since several solutions have been tried and have failed, it's time to think outside of the box. 

My belief is that only through changing stances we can end the conflict. This must be done through the education system and mass media. I am currently negotiating with "Channel 2", Israel's premier TV channel for a "Big Brother" reality show that will bring together Israelis and Palestinians. for a month with no outside contact. I need 8 million $ for that, of which I have got 6 million $ covered. I am currently hoping to raise the extra 2 million dollars. I would be glad if anyone here has any advice regarding fundraising. I hope this show can assist in breaking stereotypes and  assist some mutual understanding.   

There are foundations out there that provide grants, and I have written numerous grants and got up to U.S. $24,000 off of them.  But once again, it is their selection criteria, in disbursing their funds.  You mention that your organization is not a humanitarian one, so I do not know if it qualifies.  Have you ever investigated this, for your fundraising?

Thanks for your idea. I'll check it out. 

There is lots of details on the origin of the word Palestine, and what it specifically means.

Many people are under the impression that the word originates in 135 AD, following the Roman victory in tne Bar Kochba revolution. However further reading will place the word Palestine back to 500 BC. Some will even see a connection to an earlier time before 1000 BC.

For a quick view you can see this link at Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not a "scholarly site" , but it is a great place to get a general background on many topics. Refer to this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_name_Palestine.
It is also worth noting that the word Israel occurs in history ( outside of the Bible ) around 1, 000 BC in the Egyptian records. Many scholars will point to the Meneptah Stele as mentioning an Egyptian victory over " Israel " ( Israel referring to people living in the modern state of Israel )

The challenge with looking back in history--whether to the use of the word Palestine or the use of the word Israel-- is that we have many people ( politicians, archeologists, historians, religious leaders, etc ) looking to make a connection from a word to a people or a part of land in order to make an argument. In fairness to all, very reasonable minds will disagree and demonstrate their position with alternative information.

The words Canaan, Philistine, Judaea, and Hebrew are also ancient words appearing at a similar time in history. Experts will debate who were these people and what are there relations to each other ( and to modern peoples) , and to the land in the general area.

Personally, I imagine that there were great kingdoms in that area, smaller polities, city states, etc all existing in one form or another. We observe in history centuries of war and peace between all these peoples and periods where Jewish/Isrealite independence and leadership exist . Prior to the Greeks and Romans, there is some debate as to who was who, where they were, and when. After this period the record is fairly clear as to the governance of the land. And it's fairly clear, that Jews have always had a physical presence in the land, despite hardships living there as a small minority people. And it is equally clear that Arab speaking people ( Christian, Muslim, Druze, ) have also occuppied the same land as the majority through history.

We can go back into history, but the given is they are both there, and this issue needs to be addressed on the modern context.  The danger with relying on history, is that extremists will manipulate it to their advantage.  We have had some ugly extremists on this website -- fortunately I use the past term "had."  Who always referred to Judea and Samaria, and the present context is that Jews are a minority within Judea and Samaria.  But they are the majority in Jerusalem.  When we look at the West Bank now it is 75% Muslim.

I think in the process for facilitating a peace effort, as I have mentioned some where, it is very important to bring the perspectives, the experiences of the people on the ground. Historical analysis that has discussed, is to bring up our awareness that people on the ground has kept their collective memories based on their experiences on their historical context. Political and economical factors might influence to their understanding for what has happened in them to live together  among Palestines and Israelis. However, what does not change is their awareness of their loss for their land as happened with the Palestines. I agree with Sussan for her emphasis on this fact. Taking the experiences of Palestine refugees to understand what they want to do with their imaginary country might have a different solution than other people who do not experiences from this situation. Even among the Palestine refugees we might find various idea of what their country can be formed. It is true for facilitators of peace movement to work among Fatah and Hamas to reach up a united agreement for what Palestine is being shaped. I wonder whether there are only these two Palestine groups which associate to the political formations. Taking the example of Israel, there are so many political parties. Anybody would like to answer my question? In my opinion, this might be the situation that needs to be mapped in the local level, even we know that in the current movement, the Palestines are being moved through media campaigning etc. 

I invite you to get on the website of "The Times of Israel."  It is an English language publication that thoroughly covers both Israeli and Palestinian issues.  From this publication you get an idea of how interconnect the two sides are.  One cannot be separated from the other.

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Christopher Stewart posted a blog post
14 hours ago
Datastat Research Center posted events
Saturday
Datastat Research Center posted events
Jan 9
Datastat Research Center joined a group
Thumbnail

Peace NGO Forum

network of Palestinian and Israeli NGOs working towards peaceful relations. As strength is found in…See More
Jan 9
Eyal Raviv posted a discussion

Uri Avnery: Why I am Angry

Uri Avnery's Column (Reprinted on mepeace.org with the express permission of Uri Avnery) ​Why I am…See More
Jan 6
Dr. Nabeel Awaad shared Eva's video on Facebook
Jan 5
David Graycat posted discussions
Jan 3
David Graycat posted a discussion

I am sorry but this is totally gay in the bad way. How can we have peace with Netanyahu in charge?

Bibi is just some guy who thinks is such a victim while he orders out strikes on brown people’s…See More
Jan 2

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service