mepeace.org

How Do We Do It? (Israelis who want to look like we support peace and justice, but don't really...)

In Israel there are umpteen peace groups, initiatives, blogs, and movements that support peace related issues. My loaded question is: How much of this activity is sincere, and how many people are involved in these activities so they feel good about themselves? When push comes to shove, like in the Second Israeli War on Lebanon many Israelis from the Peace Camp were on the side of war. Too, when Qassams landed in Sedrot, those same people, and additional "peaceful people" would argue that the people of Gaza don't want peace, otherwise they would oppose the firing of bombs into our territory. My hope for all of those fence jumpers is; either jump over the fence and state what you really believe, or put your feet firmly into Peaceful Soil, and dare to get dirty while supporting a bigger picture of peace and justice for all in the world.

I get confused otherwise.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand you sentiments regarding the government, however what should their recourse be? Not simply be more peaceful in their actions because I truly feel that they wish to be as peaceful as possible without sacrificing their own citizens. As I said before, I would love to hear a better solution to the problem. What is happening now is not working as best as is hoped, however without any better alternative what is the government to do?
This is the difference between us, and I don't mean this to sound like a put-down. The "government" is connected to groups with interests. Olmart and his activities should make this a bit clearer. In the past, we needed the Palestinians for cheap labor, and most of them were willing to oblige. Then came along a younger, more educated generation, and they weren't willing to work under the same conditions, and for the same pay as their fathers were. The bosses were and still are connected to the government, and they said, "Bring us other, cheaper workers. The natives are restless." And so the natives became more restless, and with little to loose (or so they thought at the time), the Intifadot were born.
There are still many tens of thousands of Palestinians working in Israel, and more are coming through every day. They should be treated as equals in our workforce; the age of the people allowed in should be lowered. As of now, only 30 year olds and up can enter Israel. The leadership should accept that the Hamas isn't going anywhere for now, and pick their brains in finding strategies for dialog with them. There are very smart people out there who would be able to advise on the best way to bridge the dangerous gap between Gaza and us. All positions and strategies should be considered, not only along party lines.
How do you suggest Israel approach a government that specifically states in its charter: "Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it."
along with other anti-Israel statements?
Oh, and isn't Olmert gone now?
Sorry, but any good point you might have had got lost with your untruths and hyperbole. Furthermore, the part of your reply that I read violates the rules of this website. Please try to rephrase your statements to fit the MePeace guidelines if possible and I will take the time to read it.
Too, I was with the Anarchists Against the Wall (though I don't agree with everything they say or do) at Mas'cha in 2003 when the Wall was going up, and witnessed a Palestinian from Jenin lead a workshop about non-violent action. There, the Palestinains role-played soldiers, the ISM'ers were Israelis, and the Israelis were Palestinians. The man from Jenin told the ISM'ers not to naturally expect the soldiers to be violent or aggressive. He said that many of them were sympathetic to the cause, and might be gentle, so not to provoke them.
I didn't stop the Wall from going up, but I made sure that as many people that I knew were aware of the event. For my 50th B-Day I took a bus load of friends to see the Checkpoint at Tarqumiya, and then to a pot-luck picnic (remember, I like to have fun too!).
I participated in a Self-Defense Course with Palestinian and Israeli women. That too was fun!
I'm not bragging, but I'm proud of my activities and love meeting other brave people who are willing to take chances for peace.

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

izida duranovic updated their profile
Jan 9
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6, 2019
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29, 2019
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4, 2019
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25, 2019
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15, 2019
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9, 2019

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service