mepeace.org

Dear friends

What can we (who want to advocate for peace) do and not just say to actually confront the violence with peaceful means? Let us take the intensifying racist settler attacks on Palestinians and Internationals. The news of this is even reaching International media (finally). For example see:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-mideast-settler-...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-mideast-settlers...

Closer to us here in Beit Sahour, there have been extremists organized by "Women in Green" to assert authority over a piece of land that they want. They plan to come again October 16! How do you think we should respond? What would you be willing to do? Please advise.
Details on this issue are in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZaFwi6WBo

and at these links

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidDS240608_dsart10/One%20West%20Ban...

http://www.alternativenews.org/occupation-watch/occupation-watch/se...

and here are links from the settlers who are obviously well organized and financed
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?s=shdema
http://womeningreen.org/index.php?paged=3

Will you let us know what to do and if you will participate in confronting those foreigners who claim to speak on behalf of the "Jewish people"?

Views: 130

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Well Israel has stated that but what you see on the ground is different John. some settlements now are as large as a big city and you can see the new posts expanding. and that is illegal, adding to that the existing settlements that we already have.
That is true Stephanie, and I have noted the same about this issue in some of my previous posts. despite the extreme thoughts that people from both sites might hold they are humans at the first place, and trying to find a way of understanding and establishing recognition for the humanity and the right to live for the other side can be a good step, so when you meet with an Israeli or a Palestinian crossing the street you'll think to say hello not thinking that he shouldn't be walking there!
What do you base this assertion on? Where do all of you who think that a Palestinian government will be religion free get this from? I have seen no proof of this anywhere.
Hamas was supported by Israel in its infancy as a counter to the secular PLO. Divide and conquer is a classic colonial strategy so is short term stupidity that underestimates the will of people to cling to their lands and livelihood. Notice how the US also supported, trained and equipeed the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan (including Osama Bin Laden) only to now complain about the same groups. As a famous philospher said" what we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history". Israel will keep doing what it is doing and many in Israel will keep hoping for a different outcome. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is actually the definition of insanity.
Thanks for completely ignoring my question, it is greatly appreciated.
PS

I forgot to mention that I appreciate Stephanie's excellent point about Palestine was and will always be multiethnic/multireligious. BTW there were Palestinian Jews an Palestinian Christians (like my family) living among Palestinian muslims for 14 centuries peacefully (before Zionism). Samaritan Jews also continued to live peacefully in Nablus after the Jordanian occupation of 1949. Palestine also welcomed persecuted people even when they have only a religious connection to the area. This was evident in welcoming Armenian Christians (during the genocide by Ottoman Turkey) and Jews in various historical episodes of European anti-Semitism. By contrast, early Zionists were so fixated on their political program that they sacrificed Jews on many occasions (e.g. the Transfer agreement between the Yishuv and Nazi Germany, the break of the boycott on Nazi Germany, and the bombing of Jewish targets in Iraq by the Mossad).
Hi Mazin,

Could you please give some references for "early Zionists were so fixated on their political program that they sacrificed Jews on many occasions (e.g. the Transfer agreement between the Yishuv and Nazi Germany, the break of the boycott on Nazi Germany, and the bombing of Jewish targets in Iraq by the Mossad)."

I have heard these claims before but only from (essentilaly) communist sources. I have never seen anything that looks like real related evidence.

Yes, under the Ottoman rule ethnic tension were not so evident. I am not sure why that was really so. People may have nicer then, or the strong Ottoman rule may have just kept all related tensions under control, just like in Tito's Yugoslavia and in the former USSR, and now in China.

Be well..
==PmR
To John:

International law is actually rather clear on the issue of settlers. All settlers living beyond the Green line are illegally living on land that is militarily occupied (falls under the fourth Geneva convention). That was affirmed by a number of UN General Assembly and Security Council resolutions. International law also asserts the occupying power has to protect the people who come under occupation. Instead Israeli soldiers protect settlers and both soldiers and settlers have committed significant war crimes and crimes against humanity. The violations of basic human rights is testified to not just by Palestinians but by every human rights organization that looked into this (including Israeli ones like Rabbis for Human Rights and B'Tselem) as well as all International agencies (Red Cross, UN etc). To state like you do that the settlers are the ones aggrieved (the other side of the story) defies all evidence, facts, and logic.

But let me also tell you my thoughts on this which are different than a majority of Palestinians: I want all the settlers who wish to stay to stay.. I only want equal rights to all people regardless of their religion (ie. remove the discriminatory and racist laws). I lived and worked both in the US and here with people of different religions and I KNOW we can get along when we all believe in equality (not domination). It is only a zero sum game (I win/you lose or you win/I lose) if enough people believe in that nonsense (a nonsense of tribalism and racism). We are all human beings! We are born babies not Jews or Muslims or Christians (those are mere beliefs).
Bingo Mazin "But let me also tell you my thoughts on this which are different than a majority of Palestinians: I want all the settlers who wish to stay to stay.. I only want equal rights to all people regardless of their religion (ie. remove the discriminatory and racist laws). I lived and worked both in the US and here with people of different religions and I KNOW we can get along when we all believe in equality (not domination). It is only a zero sum game (I win/you lose or you win/I lose) if enough people believe in that nonsense (a nonsense of tribalism and racism). We are all human beings! We are born babies not Jews or Muslims or Christians (those are mere beliefs)."

If all people reach this point of understanding then the word conflict will become from the past.
The classic way for those who are not interested in peace (let alone knowledge) is to keep changing the subject. So Ana now wants to defend Palestinian Christians. Ironic isn't it that what Palestinian Christians like myself say is irrelevant once some humans with a tribal notion want to make a point. If you were really interested, you could read what Palestinian Christian groups say. Here are some Christian links for the edification of those who are interested to read facts and not those whose minds are made-up that they do not want to be confused with facts
http://www.qumsiyeh.org/christianlinks/
BTW, two of the three main Palestinian factions in the 1960s and 1970s were led by Palestinian Christians (PFLP and DFLP).
Thanks for providing a proof to my point. You did not even read the links I provided (your quicjk response proves that) or attempt a rational engagement. You are convinced and there is no facts or figures that would dissuade you. Fine. Stay were you are. Better yet why not join the women in green or one of the hundreds of well funded groups trying to demonize the religion of 1.5 billion human beings (I find it actually sadly self-destructive when Zionists want the land of 10 million people but chose to pick a fight with 1.5 billion others).
Would you like to get together over a beer and talk about it :-)

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service