mepeace.org

Palestine Brain: Our mess and the meaning to BE Palestinian

it is almost 3 years now where I am trying to find a committed group which can create new strategies to enhance our collective leverage as Palestinian. I fail in all meanings and I do not understand why. Because it is very clear how much enhancement potential we have.
I was doing proposals like this http://groups.google.com/group/Global3rdIntifada?hl=en
or the presentation here: http://apps.trocaire.org/justworld/wael/files/24

Why Palestinians around the world are not able to organize themselves?

http://internettime.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=656824%3ABlogPos...
I guess it is mentality issue than political one. Not to translate self-critic inside own rows and inside one-self into new philosophy.
To create "neutral" unified technical solution for activism no deep political discussions are required for example.
To live aboard help one to change mentality a bit. When I discuss objectively with Germans or American, move forward. I notice Palestinian in the states are much organized than Palestinians some where else. So the mentality is a main issue I think.

But, if we have so many Palestinian with "enhanced" mentality than oriental-emotional classical one, why those at least does not come together and discuss about bigger projects and challenges?

Another philosophical question might be related to the one above I have is:
What does it mean to BE Palestinian?

Views: 131

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes: not able to develop honest relation ship because of complexity of the issue. We require long open internal dialog, what is very hard to run constructively in emotional oriental mentality. Totalitarian PLO dispelled the intellectual elite ..

But still, now there is so much activists around the world, that should be creative to develop new frame-work of activism, using the magic triangle (Philosophy, IT, Management) .. at least to be unified in out conversation and learn-process.
As Palestinian activists and community developers, we need to explore new activisim possibilities to facilitate social change within palestinian individuals, families and communities. We need to desgin empowering social practices within our families, schools and communities. I am writing an article on Innovations for Palestinian Activisim. The article will be published at Palestine Think Tank. iF .you have specific ideas on this topic and you want to highlight in the article let me know.
Khaled, you know my presentation on http://apps.trocaire.org/justworld/wael/files/24

Pls highlight the advantage of unified web-networking Tools (Resources Management) and Collaborative_CRM"">collaborative CRM (smart communication, self-service and self-administration systemes, and project-management)

Imagine all people from Tulkarem around the world can join a virtual "Baladeyeh"
Imagine we have Palestine-Global-University?
Imagine we have international Palestine-Media Ctr. based on our ONE history and narrative?
All can be done if it is a strategic abrauch and best Frame-Work is iSD

http://internettime.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=656824%3ABlogPos...
I have been working to try to bring Palestinians and Israelis/Jews together in Canada for the past few years. It has not been easy getting both sides to the table but since I know the Israeli/Jewish side, the Palestinian side had unique challenges.

Speaking as a non-Palestinian, this is how I describe it: there is an almost passive-aggressive anger that has frozen Palestinian identity in time. 1948 froze Palestinians in a particular singular mindframe- a return to pre-1948 Palestine. Anything that falls out of the common version of what it means to be a Palestinian, is seen as a threat to the group’s identity. Anyone who doesn’t want to be outside of the group, stays loyal to the perception of what it means to be a Palestinian even when their own views differ somewhat. I see it as a symptom of a community that feels it is powerless. That giving up anything feels like losing their entire identity, like losing themselves. So the Palestinian community is frozen in time always waiting for (what they term) the original catastrophe to be solved, always by some outside force. I suppose that when the different Palestinian movements working to return failed (fedayin, PLO, Oslo) it was seen as further reinforcement of the futility.

Through my day job, I work with Canadian First Nations populations and the dynamics are very similar. A feeling of powerlessness, a feeling that the situation has been imposed on them, a feeling that someone else has to solve the problems and of course, divisiveness within.

I see it as a product of powerlessness. Jews and Israelis can share in many of these feelings (having to stay loyal to the wider group, feeling threats to the group identity, a frozen mentality always trying to reclaim what was lost in the past- with so much in common you would think Israelis and Palestinians would understand each other better). Where they differ is that Zionism implied a movement forward for Jews around the world. So a Jew who was a refugee from Syria felt he was moving towards a better future by moving to Israel. A Palestinian refugee who once lived in Jaffa felt that his future was stolen from him.

Just thoughts dribbling out of my head…
a deep analysis shows you are thinking seriously about the conflict. It is an interesting point of view; to freeze mindframe.

I think the NAKBA-shock and trauma has frozen our minds on the power we gain through injustice without being able to translate the power into a plan considers all parameters and dynamics. The zionist movement has very much more experience on this field.

Can you explain to me again why "powerless community" ?
To use your words, I think the NAKBA-shock and resulting trauma has frozen Palestinians psychologically as a community. ‘Community’ because you define yourselves by the region you come from plus what happened in 1948. Powerless: the resulting symptom is viewing yourselves as being powerless and therefore acting powerless in this world. I can’t remember the theorist who invented the theory of self-fulfilling prophecy- you view yourself as powerless, therefore you act in a powerless way. It becomes a cycle. We Jews have a similar self-fulfilling prophecy- we believe the world hates us because we are Jewish (anti-Semitism) so we act in ways that create that effect. Not my theory but it is an interesting thought.

You can view the violence Palestinians perpetrate against Israelis/Jews (what we consider terror attacks) as the passive aggressive part that is desperately seeking a sense of power. It is a false sense of power (as violence always is) which then reinforces the cycle of powerlessness.

It is just something I noticed as a comparison between how Palestinians and First Nations describe themselves and view the world.

Did I answer your question?
oh, yes .. thats what I've answered Hiba .. to be Palestinian is not an excuse .! We have lot of home-works.
Zionists had a national vision of restoring a Jewish homeland with its own language and culture, building it so that it could serve its people and help its neighbours to achieve their aims. The only "vision" amongst the Palestinian leadership, whether Hamas, Fatah or whoever, has been Israel's destruction. One survives because it is about building, the other is in trouble because it is about destruction.

When the Palestinians acquire a leadership that is about recognising the Israeli vision, and developing a parallel one for Palestinians, there will be both peace and a forward-thinking, forward-moving Palestinian society. Not only that, but it will be supported by the entire world, with Israel first in line. As long as the only thing that unites you is somebody else's destruction, how can you possibly succeed?
Dear Mary,

I know from within Israel that we have some extreemist activists who think that the Jews need to free all of the historic teritory, this people exists and active within Israel. I also can see the destruction the Zionist movment broght to the Palestinian people.

But you can read the Israel's PM and FM messages, Israel public seek to have Palestinian country beside it. The shift toward positive constructive future happend in Israel.

I also see this kind of trend within Palestinian, but the Hamas message about distruction of Israel is clear and their popularety showed in the election and with the Gaza operation where their violated the unity of Palestine.

You can also see that with infriority in the field where the Qasam and Rocets dammages in marginal, these people continue to provoke violence.

Israel has internal readiness to engage and create new realety while the Palestinian voices and their popularity in the Palestinian side are scree .

The situation is not symetric, we are not equal and the conditions in Israel are different. It is much easier for Israelis to want peace from their nice quite Tel-Aviv Homes then the Palestinians from their Gaza houses and poor life conditions. But as this difference exists it is manifested in the public tendency to violent acts.

It is well accepted in Israel that if thier is not aggression from Gaza and no build up of aggression their is no need for the Gaza Saige. but the Palestinians in Gaza are attacking the suplay delivered from Israel and then running to cry that their is a shortage, attacking fuel resources and complaing that thier is a shortage in the Hospitals.

I do not think that a palestinian as a person is aggresive, I know the history and some people to recognize the wizdom and beuty of the Palestinian and Arab culture in general but I think we can see that at this time the aggresivness from Gaza is not serving any peacfull solution just destroyes hope of Israelis and Palestinian for change.
Oh, I forgot to add another point: I see that Palestinian view themselves as powerless. I think they are overlooking a resource they don’t know they have. Palestinians have the power to recognize Israelis. They have the power to look Israelis in the eyes and say we accept you as being from here and we are willing to live with you in peace. I am oversimplifying but I think to most Israelis, this is more powerful than any army.
thought alot about this over the years in my own work. and it does always sadden me to see this kind of mutual distrust among arab israelis and among palestinians. but it is typical of groups that have been slammed by expulsion and exile. people attack and blame each other on a sinking ship. the civil war of palestinians in '36-39, and the one now between hamas, PA is the sad extrreme of this, but no doubt a fulfillment of Sharon's intentions in giving over Gaza as a victory for Hamas, not the more peaceseeking Abbas.
now many jews then will say, 'ah, but what is worse than the holocaust and we do not split into a million pieces. we survive and we stay unified.' but that is the point of colonial destruction of indigenous peoples. indigenous land-based peoples, and that is the palestinian people for most of their history, have absolutely no skills for survival as a unified group when land starts disappearing. that is why most indigenous peoples who are exiled disappear. the jews developed a book based religion and culture two thousand years ago that made for a unified people and vision that was only reinforced by persecution. that is different and an anomaly of history. the dalai lama is trying mightily to do the same thing. the palestinians have the added burden of their Arab and Muslim 'friends', the states of the middle east, who used them and their cause from the first day, without giving them any of the strength or the resilience they deserved in order to reconstitute for an effective fight to regain their land. i think there are alternatives and there is learning to be done, and survival techniques of other groups. i see some very resilient aspects of palestinian culture in the United States and even on the ground in the universities, but they dont seem to be in charge of a national program. again how could they be with Gulf individuals and states in the region pouring hundreds of millions into, once again, convincing palestinians to throw themselves at israel suicidally, a la Hamas. there is much resilience among palestinians but it is not well funded. finally, zionist resilience was and is very well funded. but history has yet to determine whether it is really 'good for the jews'. it is still a 60 year experiment, next to two thousand years of cultural survival, and over a billion people or more hate israel, especially their neighbors. i don't believe either people, jews or palestinians, have figured out resilience .
Marc, you make me hopeless .. especially when I am at home in Jenin, i notice how much young people are neglecting their identity because of the bad development. They feel very passive and powerless.
I wrote about " The Logic of Resistance" based on it powerful meaning, when people understand what does it mean to BE something. But the reality we became consumer of the reality ..

I do not know how is life in refugee camps outside Palestine.. but in the media and net there is no signs for breaking through in activism.

I do not know if Palestinians in the states will be able to construct new models of reality can influence the whole community. This is one of the hopes to say we we did not disappeared. Other thing is our cultural heritage!

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

izida duranovic updated their profile
Jan 9
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6, 2019
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29, 2019
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4, 2019
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25, 2019
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15, 2019
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9, 2019

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service