mepeace.org

I think, and many will agree with me, that if many people, millions, want something, they can do it, even if there's a smaller group that doesn't want it to be.
If this is true, and I believe it is, it should be easy to make peace, because so many people want peace. But the problem with peace, is that it's not tangible. In our mind, we have a picture of the peace that we are looking for. I think, that those pictures might be different for each of us, and then, there aren't many people that want the same thing, but many people that want many different things.

So now I'm asking you a simple question, that can bring interesting answers- What is peace?

When I'll have more replies, we'll try to find out what is the differences and the similarities about peace concepts, and try to explain peace in a way that everybody will agree with.

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a great question. I think the answers will be very different for Israelis and Palestinians. Even within these groups, each will have his/her own definition of peace. That is part of the problem, we use the same words to mean different things. and sometimes we use the words but don't believe the other side when they use the words so refuse to act on our words.

Mine simple definition of peace is: no violence and as little fear of violence as possible. Violence to me is the physical kind (bombing, stabbing, hitting). From there we can move on to co-existing- living together as equals and solving our problems without violence.
Shaii, thanks for this brave honest question!
I've been behind definitions of meaning for long time and had to find out, that I like many people I use to give fast answers and same answers without digging deeper in meanings. Then I have to find out that I am philosopher by nature which is something I am trying to make us from through my integrative character as human being.

I believe peace is unique ultimate spiritual term like love.
One of the most interesting groups are discussing "peace" is http://www.scienceofpeace.com/

It can be discussed to the crack of material (modern biology, quantum mechanics, ..), which is "special". But in general I think it is the harmony with the self and the surrounding. The consciousness about the self can be unlimited. Our surrounding getting more and more interconnected and complex, which let peace searching and reaching complex as well.

This harmony is an interactive integral process. It is based on "Abstractions" each individual is building of reality. I know little about psychology; there is not absolute reality or absolute.

When one speaks about "abstractions", you have to cross Hegel and understand the creation of idea, its polarisation, shadow of idea, creation of "black boxes" in mind, ..
Then one has to understand how our brains work, .. etc.

I went into this discussion in depth several times. If you want I can post some of my longer contribution here.

Our minds can find the way for peace, but for that we have to dig deep and search long inside us and not outside, because only our minds can set the abstraction of reality and the management of the internal crises each one of us has, which we escape from and claim the surrounding.
In ultimate depth you will be an "open hart" person and reach "Sakinah" (Arabic for internal silent) ..

About peaceful co-existence of people have conflict, beside the individual peace, we can have peace if both sides have decided to honestly share "peace-process", where we both, equal, on the same level of responsibility tries to define the cultural memes ad its own boarders to fit the other group. Actually this is my definition for "liberty". So you see, so long the individual freedom is not guaranteed the person can not be in the status of peace.

It is really very hard to find what peace is and the way for it .. it is long way ... it is pure and ideal. Actually it is not reachable in integral thinking (may be in heaven) as even inside the one society the cultural memes are not static and conflicts are some times more aggressive and tougher than with the competitor..
The identity of both sides Israeli and Palestinian is even not common and not stable. Thats why I do frequently asks "what dies it men to be Palestinian?"

Actually when people speaks about peace, they make things relative, superficial and do not understand what it really means. They do not understand what does it mean to BE in peace. Those are symptoms of unconscious human mentality. The disadvantage of that is people become unrealistic. They claim things they do not really know what it means, which they will not get.

Am not sociologist, but I would give a try and say, that people should reach a term of agreement about equal rights and obligations and measure helps them to full those, keeping in mind it should be dynamic process.

That's why in nutshell I think the real peace-process is a spiritual challenge, its effects can transcended into the society.

it would be great if we can come out of 10 point catalogue and create a poll where we ask people to chose from what peace is.

peace.

PS: my next book is Diamond Heart, A. H. Almaas
I think "peace" is best understood as shorthand for a state of "peaceful coexistence;"
the state of society in which people appreciate each other and each other's rights;
and the benefits and limitations of social diversity;
in an active and positive way, insterad of just 'tolerating' each other in a passive and negative way.
This is the "being" peace to which Wael refers above. Embodying the respect for and understanding of others which we desire for our society in general; and understanding that those same limitations which sometimes restrict our own freedoms, also prevent others from exercising what they may consider to be their freedoms at our expense.

Whatever peace is it must "be." It must include the behaviors and activities that constitute peaceful coexistence in actual practice.
You are talking of peace like an emotion, like love.
I think that if the peace is wind, the emotion you are talking about are the leaves that fly when the wind blows.
I think it's true that the peace is something in our mind- we can see it here, where we all in peace, but I don't think that peace is emotion, I think it's more like a door, that let you think and feel another things about peoples, a door to emotions, and that's means that peace can be one sided- I'm in peace with almost everybody(which means everybody accept terrorists), but it doesn't mean that they're in peace with me too.
I think too, that this is one kind of peace- I think there are personal peace, global peace, politic peace, peace of groups, peace of many people, peace of few people etc.

(did I understood what you wrote well?)
Hi Shaii,

While there is the loving and emotional aspect to the idea of peace,
and the personal aspect as well as the social,
I'm really talking about the objective science of peaceful coexistence in real society.

There's a reason I use the term 'peaceful coexistence' instead of just "peace."
"Peace" seems like a thing, an object to be obtained. But it is really not an object; it is a social process; a state of social harmony in which all go through time with an appreciation
for each other and the benefits that diversity (properly guarded by human rights) can bring to a society.

If the desire for peaceful coexistence is not present among a sub-group of that society, or intended society, then there will not be (social) peaceful coexistence in that society.
I'm not going to say that if they think they are at war with me, then my loving them will make me 'at peace' with them.' That's just semantics.

I hope that explains my viewpoint better.

Hi Shaii,

This really is a great question! Thank you for prodding me think about this. There are no simple answers. For a dictionary definition of peace, see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/peace.

There are several different contexts in which people use the word peace. Some of these are:

• Personal: Being at peace with oneself. The inner peace.
  • Within a group: Harmony within a group of people. Examples are one family, a shared house, special interest groups, neighborhoods, States, and so on.
  • Among groups: Harmony among different groups of people. Examples are neighborhoods, States, and so on.

I think that any one individual can only really feel at peace, if that individual is at peace with himself or herself. How to arrive at that inner peace is a different journey for every person depending on one's real and perceived needs.

Competition for a scarce or unique resource will result in conflict unless all competitors choose and accept the same non-violent way of resolving the conflict. Arriving at that consensus is not easy.

Given that we live in a world that has scare resources and people who do not always share the same values and do not all think the same way, I think that any one individual can only really expect is to be peace with himself or herself.

I think that we all want more than just that. Maybe that is the problem. Inner-peace, I think, is the only logically possible solution to that impossible want.

Do I have real inner peace? No! I am trying? Yes! Doing that can be trying. :-)

Hey Shaii,
This is so much THE question.
Indeed, I believe that political peace has clouded any human judgment long ago and the politicians, who are running this business, are racing for achievements. They no longer consider what is good, bad, necessary or important - they just want to be considered as "the man who achieved", which in turn, makes it harder for any "peaceful co-existence" to exist.

So what is peace?
I think that for me it is initially personal and physical safety. Peace of mind. So I won't have to worry every time you go by bus.
Then, if I widen the angle, I think it is everybody's right to leave in a place they can call home, and manage to lead your own life, support your family, and develop, through education of future generations. It's our right to have fun and enjoy life, and not do it on the expense of someone else. It is the privilege to respect others and gain respect.
Mom, you'll always warry about me XD
But I know what you're saying ^^
it's important that you'll keep writing, so we'll find what we think peace is
Hello

I notice not many of our ‘peacemakers’ have been interested in discussing the meaning of peace.

As everyone here knows, I came here primarily because I was worried that the Palestinians were not being given fair representation, compared to the number of Zionist opinions that are passionately expressed. So I am not so focused on peace at mepeace, although I believe it will come, despite the best efforts of many to prevent it.

“What is peace?” is a most important question to ask, because, if peace is not your highest priority, then you are almost certainly, more interested in pursuing conflicts and discord, in the hope you will gain an advantage of one sort or another.

There are 2 main kinds of peace. One is peace of mind, which has a lot to do with your attitude towards both yourself and everyone else, and the other is peace among men, which is about the balance between the government, the legal system and the military, AND how much control the entire population has over the government. When it comes to governments and legal systems, truthfulness and fairness towards ALL people (all people in all countries, not just your own) are very important components of peace. This is because, if people feel they have not been treated fairly, they will be angry, and this is the opposite of peace.

If you are in a conflict, it is necessary to look at what the other side wants, and then look at what you are prepared to give in order to reach a compromise. There will be no peace until both sides are able to agree to a compromise. Strangely enough, you personally will feel little anguish, once you have determined a fair compromise, and are willing to proceed. You will have simply lost your fear.

There are millions of people who are not interested in peace. They have other priorities. If you look at what they talk about, and what they do, you will see what it is they value above peace. Those of us who value peace need to talk about it and continually remind others of the value of peace. Eva is one of the few here who is genuinely pursuing peace. Some of the outsiders here, are here for little more than the idle conversation.

You are lucky to be a girl, because to be a male in Israel, and desire peace, is very hard. Israeli men, who are prepared to pay the price that Israel extracts from those expressing a desire for peace, are the best of men. I guess their future prospects are not so good. You could not possibly go wrong with such a man.

There is some evidence coming out of Israel indicating that young people do not have the same values as their parents and grandparents, and I wonder if this means they will be better suited to discuss peace. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Eyal would probably be willing to help you set up a youth group for peace. A peace group of this kind would attract the nicest of people, people you will know and remember with great fondness no matter where you go or what you do. It does not need to be a very big group, and you could be sure to have some good times together.

I have a book with some interesting quotes on peace, I will look for it and may post up a little of what the book has to say.

Thank you for asking this very important question.

May peace be with you all the days of your life.
I want to ask you about what you said peace is-
1. I don't think I understand what is peace of mind, that many of you was talking about, so what is this?
2. you wrote about peace between people and between countrys like it is the same kind of peace. I don't understand why- I think that peace betwwen people is complitly ditterent than between countrys- I think that peace between countrys is more like a deal, so I wasn't write it together. why did you write it together?
Shaii,

I think inner peace (peace of mind), peace between people, and peace between countries are all basically the same.

Often when people speak of "peace," it sounds to me like they really mean seclusion. In personal terms, "Leave me alone! Can't I get any peace and quiet?" In political terms, "unilateral separation".

My idea of peace? It's more clear in Hebrew. Shalom, as you know, is related to shalem, wholeness. Its opposite is machloket (conflict), which is related to chelek, division. Peace vs. conflict = wholeness vs. division

In gemara Nedarim (Yerushalmi), Ben Azzai puts this in terms that explicitly link the wholeness within person with the wholeness of our relationships with others. He comments on the verse (Vayikra 19) "Do not take revenge or bear a grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am HaShem", saying:

"How can a person take revenge or bear a grudge against another person? It is like someone who is cutting meat that he is holding in his hand: If the knife accidentally slips and he cuts his hand, would he revenge that hand by cutting the other one?"

When you see the person facing you as an image of G!d, you see a reflection of your own deepest self in them - "Love your neighbor [who is] as yourself." How, then, could you want to harm them?

To me, peace between Israel and Palestine (or, for that matter, peace within Israel or Palestine) is when we see each other in that light, and act toward each other accordingly.

Everything short of that - all the signed agreements, suppression of violence, etc. (may it come today!) - is mere tolerance of that bothersome Other who we (Jews or Arabs) wish would just leave us alone.

Blessings,
-Hayyim

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9
Yousef Aburaiya posted a status
"im looking for friends at usa"
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19
Robert Roberts posted a blog post

All the core elements of an essay

Essays are very important in the life of students. Writing essays may be daunting in one way or the…See More
Feb 12

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service