mepeace.org

I think, and many will agree with me, that if many people, millions, want something, they can do it, even if there's a smaller group that doesn't want it to be.
If this is true, and I believe it is, it should be easy to make peace, because so many people want peace. But the problem with peace, is that it's not tangible. In our mind, we have a picture of the peace that we are looking for. I think, that those pictures might be different for each of us, and then, there aren't many people that want the same thing, but many people that want many different things.

So now I'm asking you a simple question, that can bring interesting answers- What is peace?

When I'll have more replies, we'll try to find out what is the differences and the similarities about peace concepts, and try to explain peace in a way that everybody will agree with.

Views: 366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100831/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_talks

An example from today's headlines showing exactly what I'm talking about.
This can't be called peace, just because there's no official war being fought between armies!

I absolutely agree with that.

What is the 'peaceful resistance' that comes to your mind?

People really like to compare Israel to the Apartheid in South Africa.

Why?

Do you really think it's the same?

And also, about the occupation, there is something I always wondered about-

Israel was attacked several times, and while fighting back gained more land-because the arab countries and the phalastinians made some mistakes.

What do you think would happen, if right after the war was over, the Israelis would give all the land back without demanding anything, like you want them to do now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be in favor or against anything here-I'm just playing with some 'what if's

I try to dig into every word, so I'm interested in the sentence: "It takes creating the conditions for peace, which are based on mutual respect on all sides for all sides".

Does it mean that peace=respect?

And who should respect who?

Are the 'sides' countries? civilians? people?

Hi Shaii

Kind of, yes. Peace is not a goal-line that one crosses and the game is over. Peace is a description of an ongoing condition, a status in society, or between societies, where mutual respect prevails in interactions between the people - on an ongoing basis. Without respect, there won't be peaceful coexistence in society, and its people will not be at peace with eeach other. Without respect, there won't be peaceful coexistence between neighboring societies or countries, either.

Who should respect whom? Everyone should respect everyone else who has not forfeited that respect through their actions and statements.

The 'sides' depend on the context. Here, they are Israelis and Palestinians, both on the personal and formal-national level.

Example: the PA law making a death penalty crime to sell land to a Jew. This intitutionalizes and formalizes discrimination against Jews. It establishes disrespect as the norm. It is the opposite of peaceful coexistence- it is hostile coexistence.

Same with the Waqf restricting Jewish access to and forbidding Jewish prayer on the Har HaBayit. Again it formalizes disrespect and inequality as the norm. Or PA broadcasts broadcasting blatant lies about Jews eating Christian blood on Pesach. Not respect, and not likely to lead to much peaceful coexistence. More like incitements to violence. So long as these institutionalized disrespects, and others, stay established as norms in PA (not to mention ?Hamas!!) culture, how can there be peaceful and dignified coexistence between Palestinians and Israelis?

Interesting.

Do you see 'peace' as 'working for peace'?

Peace as the satisfaction of 8 basic needs

You will have often heard about basic needs from a physical point of view, i.e. food, water, shelter and warmth. However, from a psychological point of view: peace is the satisfaction of basic needs.  

I wrote a Masters thesis looking at how humans as emotional and rational beings, have eight basic psychological needs, the attainment of which gives some sense of peace.  As emotional beings we have a need for esteem (love, recognition), meaning, identity and emotional stimulation (pleasure, fun) and as rational beings we have the need for control (autonomy), security, justice and rational stimulation (learning).  I applied this basic framework at the individual level to the societal level in the case of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. It led me to conclude that both Palestinian national rhethoric 'There will be no peace without justice' and the Israeli rhetoric 'There will be no peace without security" are both flawed because they only take into consideration one aspect of peace. To resolve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict an attempt to satisfy all 8 elements of peace is required (ie. respect for mutual security, justice, meaning, identity and control needs etc..) coupled with the openness to want to resolve the conflict and respect for the dignity and sanctity of fellow human beings [hence the title of my thesis: 'Empathising with the enemy'].

nice thesis Stewart

Israel want security No.1  – then they can get all the other thing themselves

Palestine want justice No.1  – then they can get all the other thing themselves

Israel never have security until Palestine have justice because the 2 country next to gether.

Thanks Sussan

What is "justice" in the context? How do you know what is right or wrong? How do you know that what the Palestinians want is really the "just" thing to do?

Just one world ..... Peace = Fair Life !

How do you imagine this "Fair Life"?

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

jen brown posted a blog post
Nov 28
Greg shaw and Jameelah are now friends
Nov 21
Jameelah updated their profile
Nov 20
Jameelah is now friends with sara bechor and Oliver Haack
Nov 20
Profile IconMaria Grispou and jen brown joined mepeace.org
Nov 15
Mohammad Suhail Bhat joined a group
Thumbnail

Indo-Pak Peace Forum

This group will be a forum for Indians and Pakistanis as well as for those who support Indo-Pak…See More
Nov 7
Mohammad Suhail Bhat liked Dr Ch Abrar Majid's discussion Interaction removes misconceptions
Nov 7
Profile Iconstella, Jeffery Lyons, Ravindra Annasaheb Morey and 2 more joined mepeace.org
Oct 25

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service