mepeace.org

mePEACE.org has grown quickly from Eyal's dream to become his and others' reality. People are now doing good things. It is time to take stock and try to find out publicly whether and how mePEACE.org could better serve ALL of our aspirations. I know that some groups of people here are now considering some solutions. for improving mePEACE.org. To identify appropriate improvements (solutions), we must first really identify what the facts (problems) really are. To help, please answer the questions below.

All honestly expressed responses are valid. And so please do not discuss or question any replies. However, you should ask for clarification if the intended meaning is not clear. If you do not want to post publicly or you want your responses to remain private, please send a private message to me or one of these people:

THE QUESTIONS:

1) Why did you join mePEACE.org?

2) What did and do you expect from mePEACE.org?

3) What did and do you expect to do at and for mePEACE.org?

4) How can mePEACE.org better meet your aspirations?

5) What aspect(s) of mePEACE.org do you just HATE?

6) What aspect(s) of mePEACE.org do you just LOVE?

7) What other general comments do you have?

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On August 11, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Ada Aharoni wrote:

1. 1) Why did you join mePEACE.org?

>I was born in Egypt, and always had Arab friends. As we were friends in the past, I believe we can be friends in the present too. As Elie Wiezel said: "An enemy" is one whose story you have not heard. " We have to share and hear each others' stories. This is why I joined MEpeace and before that, founded in 1999 - IFLAC PAVES PEACE - THE INTERNATIONAL FORUM FOR THE LITERATURE AND CULTURE OF PEACE.

I joined MEpeace to create Bridges of Peace, understanding and respect, between Jews and Arabs,
and between Israelis and Palestinians. Since the Jews were thrown out of Egypt (we were 100.000 in 1948, and there are only 30 Jews left in the whole of Egypt today!), I have dedicated my life to Peace between Israel and our neighbors, through my research on CONFLICT RESOLUTION, PEACE LITERATURE, STORIES, POETRY and SONGS. You are invited to visit some of my peace work at
www.iflac.com/ada and www.iflac.com , which may explain more why I joined MEpeace.

I expect and hope that MEpeace will be a Network for all Peace organizations such as IFLAC.

I hope MEpeace will organize an International PEACE CONGRESS, in which all peace organizations can take part. I would be ready to be part of the organizing team, and to organize a Panel on "A New Way of Solving the Israeli - Palestinian Conflict."

By being more friendly technically, and more concrete on the goals we want to attain, and on the ways to attain them.

In Peace and Salamat
Ada Aharoni
www.iflac.com/ada
Reply by Ada Aharoni 52 minutes ago

1. 1) Why did you join mePEACE.org?

>I was born in Egypt, and always had Arab friends. As we were friends in the past, I believe we can be friends in the present too. As Elie Wiezel said: "An enemy" is one whose story you have not heard. " We have to share and hear each others' stories. This is why I joined MEpeace and before that, founded in 1999 - IFLAC PAVES PEACE - THE INTERNATIONAL FORUM FOR THE LITERATURE AND CULTURE OF PEACE.

I joined MEpeace to create Bridges of Peace, understanding and respect, between Jews and Arabs,
and between Israelis and Palestinians. Since the Jews were thrown out of Egypt (we were 100.000 in 1948, and there are only 30 Jews left in the whole of Egypt today!), I have dedicated my life to Peace between Israel and our neighbors, through my research on CONFLICT RESOLUTION, PEACE LITERATURE, STORIES, POETRY and SONGS. You are invited to visit some of my peace work at
www.iflac.com/ada and www.iflac.com , which may explain more why I joined MEpeace.

I expect and hope that MEpeace will be a Network for all Peace organizations such as IFLAC.

I hope MEpeace will organize an International PEACE CONGRESS, in which all peace organizations can take part. I would be ready to be part of the organizing team, and to organize a Panel on "A New Way of Solving the Israeli - Palestinian Conflict."

By being more friendly technically, and more concrete on the goals we want to attain, and on the ways to attain them.

In Peace and Salamat
Ada Aharoni
www.iflac.com/ada

► Reply to
1) I joined because I would like to become a "peacemaker." I don't consider myself a peacemaker as yet, since I haven't as yet made any peace. But I do have an idea for a way to make the idea of peace possible, what I call Selling a Vision of Hope, and I thought that I might be able to find some support in this regard on your website.

2) I expected that I would be able to post some blogs and use these to stimulate some discussion about my ideas for peace, and to discuss other ideas as well. I also expected, perhaps overly optimistically, that I may be able to find some contacts on the site that would help me to put a project on the ground: I want to build a factory in the West Bank that hires and trains Palestinian workers to produce a green energy product, and that uses Saudi financing. Such a symbolic project, if successful, could attract worldwide attention and investment funds for more such projects, for more good paying jobs, for more protection of the environment, and for more neutralizing of extremist thinking. It could point to the possibility of peace.

3) I expect to continue posting my blogs, to begin writing in the forums, to interact with people about my project and theirs, to find some green businessmen and businesswomen who want to make a difference, and to have your website become a partner with me in building our factory.

4) I would appreciate more comments on my blog posts, and I would very much appreciate your help in finding people who could help me build that factory I spoke of earlier. Once the factory is up and running, we will have to launch a huge PR effort to find more such funds for more such projects. Gradually, we will promote peace together by Selling a Vision of Hope, on the Arab street, in the Muslim world, and in the world as a whole.

5) I'm not really a hating kind of guy. But I wish I got more comments on my blog posts. And I would very much like to discuss other peoples' ideas with them.

6) I think that the mechanics of the website are state of the art. I think that the intention behind the site is admirable. But I think that talk, by itself, will not bring peace. It's time to put something real on the ground, and to use such a symbolic project to launch a movement. A lot of good people have a lot of good intentions, and a lot of good projects. But these various projects are like the separated links of a chain. We have to find a way to link these links together, perhaps under the rubric of Selling a Vision of Hope, so that everyone could start pulling in the same direction. It is time to take our various projects and transorm them into a movement for change.

7) I do not want to seem negative. I find your efforts here laudable. Your hearts are definitely in the right place. But like they say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." What is needed is action on the ground: Create good paying jobs in the West Bank which protect the environment. A project of this sort could make all the difference in the world, at a time when people are hungry to see that peace is possible, and that the environment will be protected. Your website could play an active role in this regard.
Marwa, I understand how you feel, we have seriously noticed things that started to be happening on here lately and we are discussing this and working hard to be able to create an environment that will be suitable for all members, we need to be patient, we cant be away from emotions as we are humans in the firs place but we can add realism to that.

Your participation is so valued in here, i wish that you will stay between us.

I was invited and I liked the idea

2) what did and do you expect from mePEACE.org?

I expected to meet new people that are looking to make a difference. I do expect that this site will have some kind of goals and missions to accomplish with the help of the good people here.

With the lack of goals and missions, I tried to explain the conflict from my point of view and did my best to be fair to all. I do expect that me peace will be better managed and organized so we can attract more peace makers to join us

To set some kind of goals and missions to be accomplished. As other groups, we need min requirements from members to be called peacemakers. It is not possible to have any lunatics at this site

That me peace turned to be a place were PRO violence people have a chance to be members and to promote their way of thinking.

The good people.

There is only one color for peace. Peace is not based on how we think; it is based on the reality on the ground. If we want to call ourselves peace makers we need to be committed to peace and do what ever we can in order to achieve it.
Thank you for getting this started, Paul.

a) To meet people with a wide range of life experience and views who share a commitment, despite many disagreements, to being peace and building peace.
b) To share ideas, visions, struggles, personal stories and feelings, and mutual support with each other.
- To speak my own vision and be of influence.
- To listen and learn and be influenced.
c) To find a few local comrades and see if we could do some public peace-building activity together.

I expected to find some wonderful, loving people here, and I did find that. I expected to find people thinking together, supporting each other, and collaborating, and I have so far found very little of that.

See question #1. Now I also hope to contribute to our current collective effort to heal the spirit of polarization and rhetorical violence (driven mostly by pain and suspicion) that we have brought with us here from our struggles out in the world.

a) I urge all who want mepeace to be a place that makes a real contribution to peace (I'm speaking now to you, dear reader) to remember, that can only happen if you and I remain stubborn as mules about using this venue as a place to learn (by repeated practice and failure and more practice) to be that peace - that is, to adopt within and among ourselves the difficult transformation we advocate among our respective compatriots - in how we relate to and treat one another.
b) In this context, I think mepeace could benefit greatly from ongoing, active moderation. I do not mean that more people need to be banned or publicly criticized. I mean that there should be early intervention in a non-punitive manner in order to:
i) remind and encourage people to state their views without rancor; assume good will; listen with a real desire to learn, understand, and empathize despite disagreements; disagree without passing moral judgment; move off-topic digressions to a new discussion; share not just opinions but also personal visions, struggles, stories, feelings, and support; and seek opportunities for off-line collaboration;
ii) identify and discourage argumentativeness (not disagreement); rhetorical escalation; misrepresentations; accusations of bad intent or bad faith ("you say you're here for peace, but your views suggest that you don't really want peace at all"); and
iii) warn privately about the consequences of repeated personal attacks ("I don't like your ideas, so you must be bad"); abusive or insulting language; and other forms of verbal violence.

How addictively time-consuming it can be for me.

a) Seeing and hearing from people who model the kind of patiently, persistently humane way of being with others, regardless of provocation, that I aspire to.
b) The potential that mepeace has to become a place of great and beautiful power for change - if we make it so.

a) My personal view is that our success here rides on one challenging idea in particular. This is the idea: Peace has nothing to do with agreement. (That's why moderating the forum has nothing to do with ideology, with curbing "extremists" and strengthening "moderates.") Peace is about what kind of relationships we have with people even if they differ from us greatly in their experience and their ideas. What's needed is not a conversion of opinions to agreement, but a conversion of the heart to love. Love cannot welcome violence or mistreatment. If what you really want to find here is agreement, that search will be harmful to the cause of peace despite your good intentions. Look instead for those with whom you can build caring connections - perhaps first the ones you identify with most and can most easily work with, but ultimately even the people you vehemently disagree with. When we've developed the power to do that, we will be unstoppable peace-makers.
Can't please everyone Eyal.
Earl
Dear Eyal and Paul,

I sent you my detailed response, as well as my permission to post it Paul, as you requested, but do not see it, have I missed something?

Salamat - Peace,
Ada Aharoni
Hi Ada,

Did you want to add more to what you posted directly on August 11? If so, please do so by replying to your respones at http://www.mepeace.org/xn/detail/661876:Comment:87317.

Thanks...
PmR
1.I joined mePeace to find a comunity of people who care about peace and want together to find the way.
2. no expectations. wait and see.
3. I hoped to develop discussions about solutions, not problems.
4.I don't know. wait and see.
5. I wouldnt say hate but dislike- staying in the realm of the problem and not going/ growing to focus on solutions. a little bit like in kindergarden- who started first and who said what to who.
6. but there is always hope here because we are here, we come back, we try together. it's a great oppertunity.
7. I bless us with growing fast to unity and love and understanding that we cant live without our partners, both sides.
=>Mainly in order to listen. In order to get a picture of why all peace attempts failed so far and how - and IF - peace may be achieved in future.
Meanwhile I am beginning to doubt whether this is indeed a representative platform. because if it was, then there would be peace in ME a long time...

Information.

It is difficult for me to actually participate, because frankly I simply don't know enough yet. The fact that I've never been to the ME and that I have absolutely no personal ties there does not make it easier.
I hope to be able to participate more some day in future.

It cannot. It does what it can, the rest is up to me.

That even here you find blockheads stirring up anger.

That all sides can come together and actually TALK (no: write). Communication is the mandatory basis for any consensus and finally for peace.

I am also member of a fairly large discussion group, which chiefly consists of Muslims, and which just LOOOOVE to "discuss" about the ME. I am disappointed how few (none) actually followed my invitation here. Probably too much to learn for these dudes.
:-}
i joined mepeace coz i trust that peace in middle east is very possible

Luai

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Linda thats me. posted a status
"does anyone come on here these days? I remember when there was lots of interaction."
Thursday
Linda thats me. updated their profile
May 1
Linda thats me. posted a status
"Hello, how is everyone??"
Apr 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9
Yousef Aburaiya posted a status
"im looking for friends at usa"
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service