13-year-old Palestinian shot dead by Israeli forces in Dura
Published today (updated) 20/06/2014 12:26
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces shot and killed a 13-year-old Palestinian boy after clashes erupted early Friday morning during a raid on the southern West Bank village of Dura, near Hebron.
Local sources told Ma'an that Mahmoud Jihad Muhammad Dudeen was struck by live bullets in the chest before being taken to Hebron Governmental Hospital, where he was shortly pronounced dead.
The local sources said Israeli forces opened fire directly on Mahmoud during the clashes which occurred in the Haninia neighborhood of Dura.
The clashes broke out after Israeli forces stormed the village in a dawn raid and began conducting home raids. In response, local youths threw rocks at the soldiers.
An Israeli army spokesperson said that during a "mission to detain the known terrorist in Dura, Palestinians hurled rocks and molotov cocktails at Israeli forces, who responded with riot dispersal means."
She confirmed that Israeli forces used live fire against demonstrators, adding that "reports that a Palestinian was injured or killed are being reviewed."
Another Israeli military spokesperson confirmed that the target of the raid was not successfully detained by Israeli forces.
The killing comes after a week of intensive Israeli raids and operations across the West Bank and especially in the southern West bank region of Hebron.
The Palestinian Prisoner's Society said Wednesday that more than 300 Palestinians have been detained and more than 750 homes have been raided as Israeli forces search for three Israeli youths who went missing last Thursday from the Jewish settlement of Gush Etzion near Bethlehem.
Israel has blamed Hamas for what it deems a kidnapping operation and two-thirds of those arrested were from its membership, including former members of parliament and members of Hamas-linked organizations and charities.
Israel has yet to provide proof of the accusation to the public, however, although authorities have declared their intention to "crush Hamas."
Mahmoud Jihad Muhammad Dudeen is the second Palestinian to be killed in the last week.
Israeli forces have shot dead two Palestinians in the West Bank as they continue the search for three missing Israeli teens, according to Palestinian medical and security officials.
In Ramallah, 30-year-old Mohammed Tarifi was shot dead during early morning clashes with Israeli troops near the city centre in which five other Palestinians were wounded, medics said.
In Ein Beit al-Mai refugee camp in western Nablus, 27-year-old Ahmed Fahnawi was shot and killed on his way to a mosque for morning prayers as clashes were taking place, security officials told AFP.
The Israeli army had no immediate information on the Ramallah incident, but confirmed firing at a man in Nablus who had approached the troops "in a threatening manner".
When he failed to respond to warning shots fired in the air, they fired towards him.
"Initial inquiry suggests that the suspect was mentally unstable," the military statement said.
Family members said he was mentally unstable.
Clashes erupted in the two areas when Israeli forces arrived to conduct arrests as part of the operation to locate the three teenagers they believe were abducted by Islamist movement Hamas on June 12.
An army spokesman told AFP that six suspects were arrested overnight, bringing the total number of Palestinians held since the beginning of the operation to over 340, around two thirds of them Hamas members.