mepeace.org

update - 08/11/2009 source : reports indicated that Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad has reached a secret understanding with the Obama administration over U.S. recognition of an independent Palestinian state. Such recognition would likely transform any Israeli presence across the Green Line, even in Jerusalem, into an illegal incursion to which the Palestinians would be entitled to engage in measures of self-defense.

In late August Fayyad presented the international community with a detailed plan for building up Palestinian Authority institutions and set a timetable of up to two years for its implementation. Senior Israeli officials said Fayyad's plan initially met with positive reaction in Jerusalem for its emphasis on institution-building and making security services more efficient.

-----
This is the spirit, Palestine need to be built by Palestinian for Palestinians.

we need not to negotiate our future, we need to create it, and while Israel put pressure it caanot stop the building of Palestine - it is not the question of territory, it is a question of human organizing their life and for that the Palestinians need not permission, they need to start create it.

Please tell me what you think on Fayyad Program

Neri

Fayyad rolls up sleeves to build Palestinian state

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad to present plans for institutions, infrastructure of future state including new international airport, rail links, generous tax regime for foreign investors, securing water, energy sources in hopes of 'building free, democratic and stable Palestine'

Reuters Published: 08.24.09, 21:23 / Israel News

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad will on Tuesday unveil his plan for building the institutions and infrastructure of the state of Palestine, which he says can be readied in the next two years.

Not so much a blueprint as a wish-list, the 65-page plan calls for a new international airport in the Jordan Valley and new rail links to neighboring states, and proposes a generous tax regime for foreign investors.

The Palestinian Authority which Fayyad heads is dependent on foreign assistance for most of its budget. A copy of the plan was obtained by Reuters ahead of publication.

The plan is short on detail, but setting out these objectives is a departure from Palestinian policy over the past 15 years, which focused exclusively on negotiations with Israel rather than building institutions.

Western-backed Fayyad says Palestinians must not wait for a final peace settlement with Israel but get on with creating their state.

"We call upon all our people to work together on the basis of full partnership in the process of completing and building the institutions of a free, democratic and stable state of Palestine," the plan states.

"The world should hear the clear and united position from all walks of Palestinian society ... that the Israeli occupation is the only obstacle that hinders the stability, prosperity and the progress of our people and their right to freedom, independence and a decent life."

Fayyad, a technocrat with no significant political base, heads a newly aligned cabinet with more ministers than before from the dominant Fatah faction of President Mahmoud Abbas, whose Islamist Hamas rivals refuse to recognize the premier.

On the political level, the plan is in harmony with the position of Abbas, who wants to establish a state on all territories that Israel occupied after the 1967 war, with Arab east Jerusalem as its capital.

The document says the government will focus on improving the performance of Palestinian security services, as part of its commitment to crack down on militants as stipulated in the internationally backed peace plan or "Road Map".

It speaks of building infrastructure, securing energy sources and water, and improving housing, education, and agriculture. But no detailed prescriptions are included.

"The government will work on encouraging investment in Palestine through offering tax cuts to local and foreign investors (and) will review investment regulations and remove obstacles that hinder investment," says the document.

"Our national duty stipulates that we should do whatever we can to get our economy out of the cycle of dependency and alienation."

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If only...But my sadness is if there is no committment to the 2011 deadline there will be no commitment for anything else in the near future.  The 1998 deadline was amended to 1999.  The 1999 deadline passed, then the 2005 Road Map deadline passed.  What will happen in 2011?  With settlement expansion continuing.  It is not looking promising.

We're not looking for a Mickey Mouse state, we're not looking for some form of self-rule, we're looking for a sovereign state of Palestine where we Palestinians can live as free people

source: salam fayyad @ facebook

Thanks Sandra.  I did like it.

Hi Neri.  I agree it is so important to be positive.  The reason for my concern that there will be no Palestinian state by 2011 (or 2012) is there has been little to show Bibi's coalition has any real desire for immediate resolution that would be satisfactory for all sides. Note Lieberman's UN speech putting resolution off decades from now.  Similarly, the US has displayed the timidity of a mouse on this issue. It has made a few squeaks but continues with business as usual in terms of weapons shipments and blindly voting in the UN.  Meanwhile settlements continue to expand and attitudes harden.  The article Sandra included was an interesting perspective.

Stewart,

I am meeting now for some time a settlers group from Kdumim and discuss with them the future. They all see Palestinian state in the future and supporting it, while they are afraid for the Israel Jewish future they wish the Palestinians to have a state. Some of them do not believe that the Palestinian are capable of managing they own population and work of Fayyad is one of the example the make them more flexible.

Lieberman do not have the power, the majority of the world, Palestine and israel are looking to create this state of the Palestinians, while they are negotiating borders all show that the Palestinian state is on the map and while we do not know when, we know that it will be established.

The settlements do continue to expand, but this is becuase the Palestinians ignore Israel internal tensions, if they were wiser they would finish this "negotiation" on borders in 3 month and stop this expansion once and for all.

Sandra's article is just another blame game try to make all of israel supporter of Liberman while it is far from reality and while this kind of attacks make Liberman stronger within Israel. This is an article of people who try to remove all hope from the Palestinian people for the dumb ego who think they know who to blame.

Hi Neri,

I wish for your optimism, but it is hard to be optimistic in the face of a hardening of the Israeli position.  It s not just Lieberman.  It is the loyalty oath, the hardening on the line of Israel as a Jewish State.  It has been watching the regular attacks on Palestinians, internationals (ISM, EAPPI)) and the small group of courageous Israelis (Joseph DanaTa'ayush, Yonatan Shapira [JBG], Rabbis for Human Rights) who stand side by side in protest or who document the human rights abuses (B'Tselem).

One key dismay was the general public reaction to the Gaza Flotilla in June [eg see Max Blumenthal].  One good formerly left-leaning friend of mine sent me the "We Con the World" clip by accident.  This further reminded me how isolated from reality even former people from the left within Israel were becoming.

The resistance is the West Bank has been non violent for years.  The use of stones, whilst constituting an aspect of violence and a danger to Israeli Occupation Forces does not pose the same level of danger as live fire, rubber bullets and tear gas canisters (that are frequently fired directly at protestors despite being against 'official' procedure.  The problem is it happens with such a frequency that one question what then is 'officially' accepted).

Further, stones in the hands of Palestinian youth does not pose the same threat to Israel as the billions of dollars in weaponry at the disposal of the Occupation Forces against the Palestinians.  Just look at the death toll on Palestinian youth (more than 1314 Palestinian youth have been killed since 2000).

Despite this Israel continues to expand.  Neri, it would be good to share more of your experience with the settlers from Kedumin.  Looking at theirlocal council website does not leave much hope when the mayor Hananel Dorani and others use biblical verses to justify their expansion within Palestine:

For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull [them] down; and I will plant them, and not pluck [them] up. [Jeremiah 24:6]

Neri, the work you do is fantastic, but unless something changes from the international community towards Israel I see little prospect for Israel making a genuine effort to pull out of Palestinian territory. I note your position that the negotitiations could be finished in 3 months if the Palestinians did more, but it could be equally argued (or I would say morally stronger argued) Israel as the militarily, economically and politically stronger power to stop the expansion and start the pull out within 3 months.  Here is the impasse.  Who will make the first move?  Morally, the stronger power must start releasing some of the enormous power it possesses to be used to ensure the creation of a viable and fair State of Palestine.

Sandra

I think you are very wrong, this is not reseach nor wise analyze of our reality. our change in difficult and these people who blame only one side of the equation do not understand this regions as a system.

unlike there people who know who to blame and looking for more and more blame material Fayyad is not playing this game. He looks for the Palestinian people and offer them a different path - lets build our state - lets create what is needed.

Fayyad get resources from the system, from EU, US and also from Israel and from the Arab world to establish the structure which is needed for Palestinians state.

I have many palestinian friend and do not compete with people of how many friends they have nor I compete of caring for this region's arab and jews human tissue for change for a better relationship. Do not tell me that the Israeli has any sense of making peace and negotiate.

Basil,

My comment is to Sandra, who said "Do not tell me that the Israeli has any sense of making peace and negotiate.". My close connection to Palestinians and the relationship I have suggest I have some basis of my perspectives on the conflict. I am Israeli and work in this field as you know for long time.

I never said "Netanyahu truly is a man of peace." I do not think he is. I would say that any one who become a prime-minister of the Israeli government understand that he has responsibility to change, and that Palestinian state is an element of that.As any elected leader, from israel/US and any unelected leader as Abbas or even Fayyad the work is always within internal political straggle. The Pesonsa who has political power changes.

The need of change in our relationship (Arabs and Jews) is clear and Netanyahu recognized it publicly. I think no leader now is a peace leader as they investigate in "negotiation" which is a competition to maximize your side revenue in a zero sum game. For that matter the only Peace leader is Fayyad, and this thread is dedicated for his work.
Dr.Salam Fayyad @ FACEBOOK

أن الهدف الذي نسعى إليه باتجاه تمكين شعبنا بالعيش بكرامة في وطن له، يتضمن وفي القلب منه، تمكين الأطفال من العيش بأمان وحرية، ونحن نرسم سوية مستقبل
فلسطين من خلال تأمين مستقبل أطفالنا، فأطفال فلسطين هم مصدر قوتنا وهم عنوان مستقبلنا

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4033645,00.html

Sources tell al-Hayat new plan for Palestinian unity government may end Hamas-Fatah rivalry
Elior Levy
Published: 02.24.11, 14:32 / Israel News

Palestinian sources told the London-based al-Hayat Thursday that a plan by Prime Minister Salam Fayyad to create a unity government with both rival Palestinian factions had already been approved by Fatah, and was currently awaiting the approval of Hamas.

According to the plan, both factions will keep their respective authorities in the West Bank and Gaza, including security forces.

The sources said that the status-quo kept by security forces was based on refraining from using terror as a means of achieving Palestinian aims, meaning Hamas must be committed to maintaining peace on the border between Gaza and Israel.

In addition, the Palestinian Authority's security forces will maintain their power. The plan also stipulates that a date for elections in the West Bank and Gaza will be set soon, the sources said.

The plan is currently being discussed in Gaza and Syria. Hamas's politburo chief in Damascus, Khaled Mashaal, has declared recently that "in the coming days new initiatives relating to the Palestinian issue are to be revealed."

Also, Facebook campaigns have been launched recently calling on leaders to end the rivalry between Hamas and Fatah.

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad is one of the Mideast leaders who isn't reacting to the social media pointed in his direction with a knee-jerk ban. Instead, he is rolling his Facebook pageout as a platform for crowdsourcing his cabinet.

Dr. Fayyad dismissed his old cabinet on February 14, in the wake of the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt. He is obliged to appoint a new cabinet in less than six weeks, so he's reached out to the young people to ask them to be a part of the process.

According to Foreign Policy, the reaction to the outreach was quite strong, with a thousand responses posted within only a couple of hours.

Like most situations in which people who've held things bottled up get a chance to directly address a decision maker, there were both statements of encouragement and indictments of the collusion between Fayyad's Fatah party and Hamas.

Fayyad's goal seems to be to bring the Gaza Strip, under Hamas, and the West Bank, under Fatah, back together as a single polity. One way he hopes to do that is get the youth of Palestine on his side using social media.

Long before the Jasmine Uprisings, Palestinian youth used Facebook. One group, Gaza Youth Break Out!, issued a stunning manifesto, condemning all the old fogies they believe have united to keep them down for years. Walid Husayin used Facebook to satirize Islam and was arrested for it.

Time will tell if Dr. Fayyad actually intends to act on the feelings of his constituents, or if this was merely a stunt. If he does, it could create a sense of investment in the process that seems to be in short supplyin Palestine these days.

Fayyad and Ramallah photos via Wikimedia Commons

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad is one of the Mideast leaders who isn't reacting to the social media pointed in his direction with a knee-jerk ban. Instead, he is rolling his Facebook pageout as a platform for crowdsourcing his cabinet.

Dr. Fayyad dismissed his old cabinet on February 14, in the wake of the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt. He is obliged to appoint a new cabinet in less than six weeks, so he's reached out to the young people to ask them to be a part of the process.

According to Foreign Policy, the reaction to the outreach was quite strong, with a thousand responses posted within only a couple of hours.

Like most situations in which people who've held things bottled up get a chance to directly address a decision maker, there were both statements of encouragement and indictments of the collusion between Fayyad's Fatah party and Hamas.

Fayyad's goal seems to be to bring the Gaza Strip, under Hamas, and the West Bank, under Fatah, back together as a single polity. One way he hopes to do that is get the youth of Palestine on his side using social media.

Long before the Jasmine Uprisings, Palestinian youth used Facebook. One group, Gaza Youth Break Out!, issued a stunning manifesto, condemning all the old fogies they believe have united to keep them down for years. Walid Husayin used Facebook to satirize Islam and was arrested for it.

Time will tell if Dr. Fayyad actually intends to act on the feelings of his constituents, or if this was merely a stunt. If he does, it could create a sense of investment in the process that seems to be in short supplyin Palestine these days.

Fayyad and Ramallah photos via Wikimedia Commons

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Monday
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9
Linda thats me. updated their profile
Apr 9
Yousef Aburaiya posted a status
"im looking for friends at usa"
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19
Robert Roberts posted a blog post

All the core elements of an essay

Essays are very important in the life of students. Writing essays may be daunting in one way or the…See More
Feb 12

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service