mepeace.org

How Israel's right to exist is conflated with denial of Palestinian rights. Explanations requested.

Israel MFA posted this summary of an editorial in the newspaper Yisrael Hayom.

The highlighted sentence caught my eye and is, I thought, worthy of further discussion.

(quote)Yisrael Hayom considers Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's demand that the Palestinians recognize Israel as the national state of the Jewish People in the context of the current Fatah conference. While the author acknowledges that Israel's existence is not predicated on such recognition, he asserts that, "If we want peace, then this recognition is both necessary and urgent." The paper suggests that the Palestinians' "principled refusal, even if it means giving up on both peace and the establishment of their state, attests that their opposition is substantive," and belies their stated desire for peace with Israel. The author avers that "The substance of the conflict is the question of the Jewish People's right to an independent, sovereign state in the Land of Israel," and adds that, "The Arabs in general, and the Palestinians in particular, are unwilling to countenance this right." The paper cautions, however, that such recognition must be substantive and not merely declarative and declares that "The substantive significance of recognizing the State of Israel as the state of the Jewish People is giving up on the claim of a 'right of return' for the refugees' grandchildren and great-grandchildren." The author calls on the Government "to announce that the 'refugee' issue, i.e. the demand for 'the right of return' is not part of any negotiations," and adds that "Only when the Palestinians accept this will there finally be the sign that we have partner for peace. We will wait to hear what the Fatah conference decides."(end quote)

In particular, I am interested in the Israeli view of the origins of this right and how and why this exercising this right coincided with stripping Palestinians of their rights. Or am I on the wrong page here.

I am sure some here can enlighten me.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is perfectly logical: to bring Jews from around the world and create a Jewish state (by Jews, for Jews) in a land that already was heavily populated by people who are not Jewish was deemed not doable without the denial of rights of the native people (and removing most of them from their land). Most Zionists realized taht and many of them wrote extensively of this (see Herzle's Diaries, Ben Gurions's lettewrs to his son, and private meeting diaries of the Yishuv leadership in the 1920s and 1930s). As two Rabbis sent by the Zionist movement from Viennal cabled back after touring Palestine in the late 18th century: "The bride is beautiful but she is married to another man."
Heavily populated? "in the late 18th century"? In the 19th century? In the early 20th century?

Garbage!
Actually far more heavily populated than any of the areas colonial Europeans colonized at the time period (late 19th century and early 20th). This was true of teh fertile crescent in general because well it was fertile (land of milk and honey if you remember). Population surveys were made by the Ottomans and later the British and are rather clear and can be compared to for example North and South America which were far less populated.
You jest Paul, surely your not going to roll out the hackneyed slogan "A county without a people for a people without a country"
You ask an important question. There is no such thing in international law as a right to exist. This imaginary right
was created by Israeli politicians as a means of diverting attention from substantive issues.
True, in international law, there isn't such a thing as "right to exist". But there is right of self-determination. And under that, there is various things which can be counted in to self-determination.
You must ask this from Israel. While all other players in international field recognise rights for palestinians, US and Israel mainly has opposed this decades. Every year in UN GA has voted peaceful settlement of palestine/israel conflict, US and Israel & few pacific ocean islands has voted against of it. Like this :

http://unispal.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/73D3C4B4B95D2FF285257551005A67F0
Yes, all peoples possess the right to self-determination. This derives from the UN Charter.

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Linda thats me. posted a status
"does anyone come on here these days? I remember when there was lots of interaction."
May 23
Linda thats me. updated their profile
May 1
Linda thats me. posted a status
"Hello, how is everyone??"
Apr 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9
Yousef Aburaiya posted a status
"im looking for friends at usa"
Feb 19
Feb 19
Feb 19

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service