mepeace.org

Imagine if a German party proposed banning any commemoration of the Jewish holocaust!

Lieberman's party proposes ban on Arab Nakba

By Reuters

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman's party wants to ban Israeli Arabs from marking the anniversary of what they term "the Catastrophe" or Nakba, when in 1948 some 700,000 Arabs lost their homes in the war that led to the establishment of the state of Israel.

The ultranationalist Yisrael Beitenu party said it would propose legislation next week for a ban on the practice and a jail term of up to three years for violators.

"The draft law is intended to strengthen unity in the state of Israel and to ban marking Independence Day as a day of mourning," said party spokesman Tal Nahum.
Advertisement

The initiative could fuel racial tensions stoked by Lieberman's February election campaign call to make voting or the holding of public office in Israel contingent on pledging loyalty to the Jewish state.

Arabs, who make up 20 percent of Israel's population, said the allegiance demand was aimed at them and accused Lieberman of racism.

Israel celebrated its Independence Day this year on April 29, in accordance with the Hebrew lunar calendar. Palestinian refugees around the world and Israel's Arab citizens mark the Nakba on May 15, the day after the British mandate over Palestine ended in 1948.

Ceremonies in the West Bank were held a day early this year because May 15 falls on Friday, the Muslim day of rest.

In Ramallah, hundreds of Palestinians, some holding large wooden keys to symbolize the keys of homes from which they fled in 1948, took part in a rally.

"I came here to show that we believe that one day we will return. If not me, then my son," said Mohammad Hassan, 79.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, on a visit to Syria, was to make a televised address later in the day to mark the Nakba.

The right-leaning government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in which Lieberman's party is a key ally, has not endorsed the Western and Arab-backed goal of Palestinian statehood.

It also firmly opposes the division of Jerusalem and the right of return of Palestinian refugees, and Netanyahu recently introduced a demand that Palestinians, as part of any future peace agreement, recognize Israel as a "Jewish state".

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW-Indians in Canada do not pay any taxes if they live on a reservation. Each area is controlled by a Tribal Council, not unlike any city.I am not sure that there are levels of autonomy and autonomous state fall under the main power, in this case Israel, for security and foreign policy, taxation.

The Indians have no where to go as they are the original people in N,A the Arabs have 22 other states as I said previously.If they cannot co exist on this small area than just move on.

At least we seem to agree on Welfare UNWRA

I was not aware of that about Indians in Canada.  I am sure regulations concerning them are different in both the United States and Canada.  If we are looking at relocating Arabs to other countries, I do not think it would be voluntary though.  So it would have to fall under the category of forced removal.  When Meir Kahane had that in his Kach party, the party got banned by the israeli Supreme Court, and never ran in an Israeli election.  So this returns us back to the subject of coexistence.

Tim

".If they cannot co exist on this small area than just move on." 

What I am saying is that they should be honest enough to say we do not want to live amongst Jews and prefer to live under the rule of our own people in other Arab countries, Some are in fact doing that and others are prevented from selling to Jews and moving on through the death penalty imposed on selling any land to Jews.

The question than should be how do you force a hostile population to co exist with you on such a small piece of land without committing National Suicide?

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

izida duranovic updated their profile
Jan 9
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6, 2019
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29, 2019
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4, 2019
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25, 2019
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15, 2019
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9, 2019

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service