mepeace.org

Muslim and Jewish religious peacemakers& their ideas on peace& their work and activities

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Salam alaykum and Shalom, Peace be upon you.
I would like to start here a discussion about Muslim and Jewish religious scholars, writers and activists and their activities and writings and their ideas on making peace.
Here are some of them:

Haroon Yahya (Adnan Oktar)
A Turkish Muslim writer and activist.

“As people who believe in God and follow His revelations, let us rally to a common formula - "faith". Let's love God, Who is our Creator and Lord, and follow His commands. And let us pray God to lead us to an even straighter path. When Muslims, Christians and Jews rally to a common formula this way; when they understand that they are friends not enemies, when they see that the real enemy is atheism and paganism, then the world will become a very different place. The fighting that has raged for ages, enmities, fears - and terrorist attacks - will come to an end, and a new civilization based on love, respect and peace will be established upon this "common formula".

Adnan Oktar’s interview by Tamar Yonah, Israel National Radio: http://en.harunyahya.tv/videoDetail/Lang/4/Product/16734/

http://tr1.harunyahya.com/Detail/T/EDCRFV/productId/9655/ADNAN_OKTA...

What Should a Moslem's View of the People of the Book and Atheist Zionism Be?: http://www.unionoffaiths.com/article_y15.html
More interesting articles, books, pictures and videos: http://www.unionoffaiths.com/

Imam Muhammad Shirazi

Shi’ite Muslim scholar and writer from Iraq.

“One of the benefits of peace is that the memory of the peace-maker remains as do
his laws, checks and balances and methods whereas memory of the non-peacemaker does not remain even if it is assumed that he was one hundred percent right.“

His teachings on War, Peace and Nonviolence (An Islamic perspective) are available in English here: http://www.shirazi.org.uk/books.html
(The second and third part of this book are really good)

Jalaluddin Rumi
A Sufi poet and writer.
“…Since Rumi saw humans as beings that carry the Divine Entrustment, he loved people no matter what faith or creed they belonged to, and therefore respected all religions. It is for this reason that behind the coffin of that great saint , not only Muslims but also Christians and Jews shed tears.‘‘
Book about Rumi: Sefic Can, Fundamentals of Rumi’s thought
(Read about Rumi's teachings on love)

Emaan (Faith in Arabic)
God revealed to David- peace be upon him: “David, whoever takes refuge in Me and not in my creation, even though heaven and earth conspire against him, I will find him a way out.“

Aidh bin Abdullah al-Qarni
A Salafi Muslim scholar from Saudi Arabia.

‘‘In order to find peace, turn to your Lord‘‘

Happy and patient people won’t fight each other. Faith in God is a key to happiness, patience when facing problems and inner peace. Sheikh Qarni wrote many books on this topic, which were translated to many languages, for example Don’t Be Sad and You Can Be the Happiest Woman in The World.

Emuna (Hebrew word for Faith)

Rabbi Shalom Arush
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom_Arush

“The outside world is a portrait of tension, stress, and anger. Modern man is always
on the run and under the gun; he finds no relief from emotional unrest, financial
insecurity, and cut-throat competition, the results of a society that lacks emuna, faith.
If the inhabitants of this earth had emuna , then they'd be relaxed and content .
Knowing that their lives are in the hands of a loving Creator - anxiety, worry, and
stress would become superfluous. A world with an emuna-oriented populace would
become a heaven-on earth haven of peace, justice, and compassion.“
“ War and strife among nations are impossible in a world of emuna, for each nation would realize that its own has a specific task in the global scheme of things. Just as a carpenter doesn't compete with a butcher – on the contrary, each requires the services of the other – the nations of the world would cooperate in peace rather than bicker in constant conflict.

The prophet speaks about the messianic era's world of emuna when he says (Isaiah 11:6-9), "The wolf will dwell with the sheep and the leopard will lie next to the kid goat…they will neither injure nor destroy in all of My sacred mountain, for the earth will be filled with
knowledge of God as water covers the ocean floor." Only emuna leads to the knowledge of God that will lead to a wonderful world of peace and tranquility.
Rebbe Nachman of Breslev writes (Likutey Moharan II: 8), "In the future, as the knowledge of God increases, there will be no more damage and cruelty. Mercy and compassion will spread, since they are the outcome of the knowledge of God."
http://www.breslev.co.il/categories/spirituality_and_faith/spiritua...

Rabbi Menachem Froman
Rabbi Froman has long been involved in interfaith dialogue with Palestinians and Muslims, and has participated in informal negotiations with many Palestinian leaders, including from Hamas. He argues that peacemaking efforts between Israel and the Palestinians must include the religious sectors of both societies. Froman conducted meetings with controversial Palestinian leaders, including with the late PLO Chairman and President of Palestinian National Authority Yasser Arafat, and the late Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmad Yassin. [3]. Froman maintains close ties with Palestinian leaders, as evidenced by a letter he sent to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas about his last conversation with Yasser Arafat:
“ I remember my last conversation with him, close to his death, when he answered me with emotion: "You are my brother!" and of course it is possible to explain his emotion, that he wanted to tell me, close to his death, that the two nations – the Israelis and the Palestinians – are brothers, that if the fate of one improves so does the fate of its double. The president customarily would thank me for these blessings and would order that these blessings be publicized in the Palestinian newspapers so that the Palestinian nation will know that there are Jewish rabbis who are blessing them with blessings of peace.[4]

Since the election of the Hamas government in the Gaza Strip, Rabbi Froman stepped up his efforts to organize meetings between Israeli and Palestinian religious leaders. He has met and conducted negotiations with current Hamas leaders Mahmoud al-Zahar and Hamas's Minister for Jerusalem Affairs, Sheikh Mahmoud Abu Tir, with the goal of drafting a ceasefire agreement that will end the killings in Gaza and the West Bank and lift the blockade imposed by Israel on the Gaza Strip. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Froman
Rabbi Froman and Haroon Yahya: http://en.harunyahya.tv/videoDetail/Lang/4/Product/18815

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This discussion is now promoted in the recommendations on mepeace.org. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!
hello yara hope to see you here in the phiippines just see what you want to se.. yes i'ts true that god is a peace maker ..and i trust you for being you and your so blessed that you were here and i see your page together with your place of birth and hope to be my friend and hope too that you will be a good child of god whom you trust and hope to that you will do your best to have made your activity that you want to do and to share in this organization and me god bless you and your family circle hope to meet you someday and your so welcome here in our place and for your further information you can open my page and anything about me nd if you see me in personal you may say oh my god i'ts you harry again more power to you and be blessed always to you..
Hi Harry, I would love to visit Philiphines. I had two Philipinesse colleagues at Qatar university and it was very interesting for me to meet them, because Philipines are very far from my country and we hardly ever hear about this part of the world. I am wishing you all the best, to bring good to your country which is also in need of peacemakers and to members here on mepeace.

Another interesting article:

Rebbe Nachman of Breslev teaches us (see Likutei Moharan I:62) that the most beautiful manifestation of emuna in the world is when all of mankind will call Hashem’s name and serve Him.

Something wonderful happens when we all serve G-d together – we stop shooting at one another. Emuna is therefore mankind’s only hope.

Probably the most gratifying part of my demanding work as editor of Breslev Israel and as Rabbi Shalom Arush’s English-language mouthpiece around the globe is the privilege of developing bonds of friendship with some of the world’s finest people, representatives of all walks of life. This has been the result of Rabbi Shalom’s commitment to turn Rebbe Nachman’s dream into actuality, when all of mankind tastes the sweetness of emuna and calls Hashem’s name.

Rebbe Nachman foresaw the only way to bring peace to the world. Allow me to share a very special letter we received last week from “Abu Jalad,” a leading journalist from Qatar and a devout Sufi Moslem:

Dear Breslev Israel,

I became drawn to your superb website after having read the serial form of the Garden of Emuna book by Rabbi Arush and translated by Rabbi Brody. This book is brilliant – there is virtually nothing that a Sufi Moslem can be offended by. Indeed, the book helps all of us strengthen our connection with The Almighty One.

For your information, Sufi Islam condemns terrorism in all its forms, whether political, cultural, intellectual or ideological. It also recognizes and stresses the common heritage of Islam, Christianity and Judaism. We supports peace, wherever it exists, and the precept of “justice for all,” condemning all violations of human rights. In addition, we are not affiliated with any government, political party or political agenda.

As a news editor and as a Sufi, I often walk a thin line. Yet, a responsible God-fearing journalist must be courageous in taking responsibility for shaping the future of the rest of the world. Many want to destroy it. Few are seekers of truth. I think that your talented editor, Rabbi Brody, is one such individual. As followers of Rebbe Nachman, you would be true partners in building the bridge of peace on a worldwide scale.

May we be courageous enough to develop a meaningful dialogue for the benefit of all. Most sincerely, Abu Jalad

http://www.breslev.co.il/articles/society/noahide_world/our_only_ho...
Jerusalem Peacemakers is one such group of people. For more about the Jerusalem Peacemakers, see http://jerusalempeacemakers2008.jerusalempeacemakers.org/

Two days ago, here in Sydney, about 25 people of various backgrounds met, listened to and and talked with Sheikh Bukhari. For more about the Sheikh, see http://jerusalempeacemakers2008.jerusalempeacemakers.org/bukhari/in...

After the meeting, he came with some of us for the lighting of the Hanukkah Menorah in the same park (near a Synagogue) that we used for public Sulha Listening Circles.

Sheikh Bukhari is indeed an impressive Mensch from the Sufi tradition. He is modest and is sensitive to his surroundings and audience. He even smokes cigarettes and has a wicked self-deprecating sense of humour. He believes in miracles. I don't (really). :-) Nevertheless, I am sold.

The basic message I got from him is: do what you can when and where you can, and to persist gently and with dignity and sensitivity.
The Sheikh is a mepeace member, too, by the way:

http://www.mepeace.org/profile/SheikAbdulAzizBukhari

Personally, I'm fascinated by Sufi tradition and mentality.
Thanks Oliver. I'll try to get his email address locally. I hope we can encourage him to participate a little here. I know that he is a very busy man though. He and the people he works with live what they teach. They lead by example.
Paul, thank you very much for the link. Its pity that the media dont like to show religious people who make peace:

In December 2000, during Hanukka and Ramadan and some eight weeks into the intifada, the clerics decided that a public meeting might help redirect hostilities. Israel's chief Sephardic rabbi, Eliyahu Bakshi-Doron, opened his office to some 36 sheikhs and Orthodox rabbis, facing one another. Rabbis in black hats, long coats and side curls, and sheikhs in headscarves and white skullcaps could be seen nodding their heads in agreement.
Though the meeting was ground-breaking in some ways, it received little attention. The Israeli media likes to portray ultra-religious people as reactionary, said media analyst Moshe Negbi. They ignore those who don't fit the stereotype. On the Palestinian side, censorship prevents coverage of ideas that might contradict the leadership. Headlines stayed focused on violence and the event went largely unnoticed.
http://jerusalempeacemakers2008.jerusalempeacemakers.org/bukhari/in...
Thank you Yara for this post,

I would like to add to your list one of my favorite Jewish religious figure: Moses ben Maimon [known to English speaking audiences as Maimonides and Hebrew speaking as Rambam] (1138–1204) is the greatest Jewish philosopher of the medieval period and is still widely read today.

Maimonides makes a startling statement, "When Moshiach comes there will be neither jealousy, nor hatred, nor ruthless competition." How will the nature of six billion people transform naturally from greed into sainthood?

Maimonides clarifies this by defining the messianic era as a time when the main occupation of the world, for Jew and gentile alike, will be the pursuit of information and knowledge -- the ultimate knowledge being the knowledge of G-d.
(source: http://www.noahide.org/article.asp?Level=413&Parent=342)
Neri, tkanks for the link, I found it very interesting! I think that its worth to copy some interesting articles.

New Campaign - Let the Arabs Have a Life
Islam Religious Leader Commits to Noahide "Seven Laws of Noah
The spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel , Sheikh Mowafak Tarif, this weekend signed a declaration calling on non-Jews in Israel to observe the Seven Noahide (Bnei Noach) Commandments, as laid down in the Bible and expounded upon in Jewish tradition.
Several weeks ago, the mayor of the primarily Druze city of Shfaram , in the Galilee , also signed the document.
The declaration includes the commitment to make a better "humane world based on the Seven Noahide Commandments and the values they represent commanded by the Creator to all mankind through Moses on Mount Sinai ."
Behind the efforts to spread awareness of the Torah's Seven Universal Laws is Rabbi Boaz Kali, of the directors of Chabad-Lubavitch institutions in the Krayot area of Haifa and the chairman of the Worldwide Committee for the Seven Noahide Commandments. The recent signature by Sheikh Tarif is part of Rabbi Kali's ongoing efforts among Israel 's non-Jewish community. In the past few years, Rabbi Kali's organization has placed roadside ads in Arabic calling for observance of the Noahide Laws, as well as distributing Arabic-language pamphlets on the subject among Arabs in Israel and the Palestinian Authority.
According to the Torah, all humankind (the offspring of Noah, or Bnei Noach) is subject to seven Divine commandments. They are: to refrain from idolatry; to refrain from sexual immorality; to refrain from blasphemy; to refrain from murder; to refrain from theft; to refrain from eating the limb of a living animal; and to establish courts of law. New Campaign - Let the Arabs Have a Life
From http://arutzsheva.org
http://www.noahide.org/article.asp?Level=128&Parent=342

On May 13th 2008, a conference took place in the Hebrew University that united Jews, Muslims and Christians with the goal of spreading the seven universal laws of Noah. These laws will transform the world into a place of peace. Jerusalem, the eternal center of intellectual and spiritual development of the world, hosted this important meeting. Rav Yakov Cohen, from the Institute of the Noahide Code was the representative of the Jewish community. The Sheik Abdul Salam, head of the Sufi Mosque of Nazareth, came to represent the Muslims, and Reverend Michael Kroop, former teacher in the University was the Christian representative. With the intense participation of approximately 50 individuals included many young people, adults and families of different races and religions, the atmosphere of the conference anticipates what will be the future of the Middle East and of the world. The three representatives asserted their absolute conviction in the universality of the seven laws of Noah. These laws which apply to all humanity*, were retransmitted at Sinai to Moses and have been spread all over the world in the last few years, as the most powerful formula to re-balance society for all nations of the world. In our time it is very important that each person, independent of his religious creed, his race or political choices, makes sure that he/she is making a contribution, through his/her own behavior to balance the world. For the continuation of existence of humanity, it is crucial that everyone recognizes and implements the seven universal laws of Noah in his/her own life. In this way he will be accomplishing his own mission and also connecting himself with the whole reconstruction of humanity into direction of peace. In the conference many questions were asked and answered, and the meeting closed in an atmosphere of peace and understanding. The seven universal laws of Noah were already recognized by the American Congress as “the basis for the reconstruction of humanity”. (March 20,1991). * Moses´ revelation on Sinai specifies for the Jewish people 613 laws.
http://www.noahide.org/article.asp?Level=551&Parent=421

There are other things on the website worth to post here:
In addition to preparing the world for the Messiah, they see themselves as presenting moral values that will end the centuries-old animosities between Muslims and Jews.

Then he asked me a question: Do you know what kind of world we would live in if all nations honored the Seven Laws? He took a quick breath and answered his own query: It would be transformational. If we were to stop killing, stop stealing, establish real courts of justice everywhere in the world, do you see what would happen? We’d have world peace.

Another interesting links about Noahide laws:
http://en.wikinoah.org/index.php/Christianity_and_Noahide_Law
http://en.wikinoah.org/index.php/Islam_and_Noahide_Law
hello yara have a nice idea again that you wrote in sharing your knowledge of this kind of traditions that you have been mention, yes i'ts true that every human being has a right to beleive what she/he want to beleive, in this issue the person has a good heart and mind in peacemaking were always obey and respect the creator himself god,but i beleive also that their are some people does not like peace it is because thy never surrender their sins to the persons who made their mistake, and some times it is the cause of war in mind or getting mad to each other .i hope that you read and accept my comment in this issue,and this is only in my own knowledge in this particular issue and for me i have always a peace in mind even thought that some people you said that never accept peace, but how if the persons who were still in that positions that thy always made their mistake that only to prove that they were supposed to be right,well that is the very big problem in our society for being high or boast in every move that thy want too. thanks again that this issue was post again and to you too..your so blessed that you still doing good and sharing any discussions or activities here or even in different groups more power again to you and me god bless you and your family circle too.

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service