mepeace.org

I watched parts of the movie "Budros" which represents the public, non violent resistance against the wall in a Palestinian village.
Men, women, boys and girls from Budros with international peace activists went out to protest against the wall by using their voices and writings. The coordinators and organizers to Budros' non violent resistance work in small groups to ensure the continuation of the regular protests.
The conclusion was very positive when the Israeli Court of Justice ordered the Israeli government to stop building the wall in Budros.
The main question in this discussion topic is:
How can we use the non violent resistance to help achieve peace in the Middle East?

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Sussan,

Can you bring for once what Arab leaders say about Israel in the time of the quates you bring. Bing one sided make your image of reality seem unreal.
Michael,

I have many palestinain friends, I read Arab statments and what you present is, as sussan's one sided narrow and ignorant prespective.

NERI:

For once I would like to see you debunk what I am saying with facts and figures based on solid arguments rather that sound bites and your take on what I have to say.

I wholeheartedly am convinces in what I am saying and do back it up, please do the same rather than trying to persuade me that you are right simply because it is you opinion.

Simply put -Follow me from the front.

Sussan

March 8th 1965

"We shall not enter Palestine with its soil covered in sand, we shall enter it with its soil saturated in blood" - President of Egypt, Gamal Abdel Nasser [20]

Feb 22nd 1967

“it is the duty of all of us now to move from defensive positions to offensive positions and enter the battle to liberate the usurped land…Everyone must face the test and enter the battle to the end.” - President Attassi of Syria[1]

April 8th 1967

“(this battle will be)…followed by more severe battles until Palestine is liberated and the Zionist presence ended.” - Syria’s information minister Mahmoud Zubi [1]

May 15th 1967

“Israel wants to make it clear to the government of Egypt that it has no aggressive intentions whatsoever against any Arab state at all” - Israel’s Prime Minister Levi Eshkol [4]

May 16th 1967

'...I gave my instructions to all UAR forces to be ready for action against Israel the moment it might carry out any aggressive action against any Arab country. Due to these instructions our troops are already concentrated in Sinai on our eastern border. For the sake of the complete security of all UN troops…I request that you issue your orders to withdraw all troops immediately. [5] - written request from Nasser to Commander UNEF (Gaza)

"The existence of Israel has continued too long. We welcome the Israeli aggression. We welcome the battle we have long awaited. The peak hour has come. The battle has come in which we shall destroy Israel." - Cairo Radio

May 17th 1967

“All Egypt is now prepared to plunge into total war which will put an end to Israel” - Cairo Radio

"We had hoped yesterday that tension in the Israel-Syria-UAR triangle was dropping after an ostentatious Egyptian show of putting its forces around Cairo on alert. Last night, however, we and the Israelis learned that the Egyptians have moved forces into the Sinai. Now they have moved forces in front of the UN Emergency Force on the Israel-UAR border and all but ordered it to withdraw." - Memorandum From the President's Special Assistant (Rostow) to President Johnson [30 Doc 7]

May 18th 1967

“The Zionist barrack in Palestine is about to collapse and be destroyed. Every one of the hundred million Arabs has been living for the past nineteen years on one hope – to live to see the day Israel is liquidated…There is no life, no peace nor hope for the gangs of Zionism to remain in the occupied land.”

“As of today, there no longer exists an international emergency force to protect Israel….The sole method we shall apply against Israel is a total war which will result in the extermination of Zionist existence”. - Cairo Radio’s Voice of the Arabs broadcast

“Egypt has decided to terminate the presence of the United Nations Emergency Force from the territory of the United Arab Republic and Gaza Strip. Therefore I request that the necessary steps be taken for the withdrawal of the Force as soon as possible.” - Egyptian ambassador Kony informs U Thant - U.N. A/6730/Add.3 26th June 1967

“Irrespective of the reasons for the actions you have taken, in all frankness, may I advise you that I have serious misgivings about it for…I believe that this Force has been an important factor in maintaining the relative quiet in the area of its deployment during the past ten years and that its withdrawal may have grave implications for peace.” - UN Secretary General U Thant cables Cairo advising that UNEF would be withdrawn.

“The presence of the Emergency Forces in the Sinai desert had kept tensions down. We don’t have to look further for a United Nations success. Yet the Government of the United Arab Republic has made a formal request for the withdrawal of UNEF from its territory as soon as possible.

It really makes a mockery of the peacekeeping work of the United Nations if, as soon as the tension rises, the United Nations force it told to leave. Indeed the collapse of UNEF might well have repercussions on other United Nations peacekeeping forces, and the credibility of the United Nations in this field are thrown into question.” - George Brown (British Foreign Secretary), speaking at United Nations Association annual dinner in London [21]]

…”UNEF was established with the full concurrence of the United Nations…any decision to withdraw the force should be taken in the United Nations after full consultation with all the countries involved – it should not be taken as the result of some unilateral decision.” - George Brown (British Foreign Secretary), speaking at United Nations Association annual dinner in London [21]

"You are correct, Mr. President, in stating that we are having our patience tried to the limits. There have been 15 attempts at murder and sabotage in the past six weeks. We have not reacted. This in itself proves that there is no lack of temperance and responsibility on our part. On the other hand, the problem is not solved indefinitely by inaction. We cannot always rely on the stroke of fortune which has so far prevented the terrorist acts from taking the toll of life and injury intended by the perpetrators. - extract from telegram from Eshkol to Pres. LB Johnson.

May 19th 1967

“I do not want to cause alarm but it is difficult for me not to warn the Council that, as I see it, the position in the Middle East is more disturbing…indeed more menacing than at any time since the fall of 1956.” - UN Secretary General U Thant, Security Council meeting - U.N. S/7906 26th May 1967

May 31st 1967

“The existence of Israel is an error which must be rectified. This is our opportunity to wipe out the ignominy which has been with us since 1948. Our goal is clear - to wipe Israel off the map” - President Aref of Iraq

“Under the terms of the military agreement signed with Jordan, Jordanian artillery, coordinated with the forces of Egypt and Syria, is in a position to cut Israel in two at Qalqilya, where Israeli territory between the Jordan armistice line and the Mediterranean Sea is only 12 kilometres wide”. - Al Akhbar, Cairo's daily newspaper

Reading the PingPong among the three friends here, I wonder if it happens on the right page....I mean - it suppose to be a Non Violence Resistance discussion.  The feel is of an "ego fight", and not non-violent at all....

I did reply to your "Non Violence Resistance" post  without your comment back. There has never been a non violent interaction between Jews and Arabs whether in Israel or the Arab world. I wish that it was an ego fight but people are actually dying in Israel as we speak off and many are injured as we speak. Nothing non violent about this.I in Canada do get together with Muslim and Sikh and Christian friends and play poke. Some of the relatives of these Muslim friends have tried to blow up Parliament here and decapitate the Prime Minister. So as you see social interaction does not change what is reality in the Middle East with emphasis on Israel.

But I guess some people live in an optimistic worldview simply because they found a few people in the enemy camp that believes that only Jews are evil.

Yes, Israel-Palestine is a "bomb of violence". still.
There are many people on both sides who opposed any kind of relationship between us and the Palestinians and v.v. there are many who wouldn't mind to be on war with the Arab world for EVER.

BUT!!!

luckily, there are many "dreamers" . Thanks to them/us - peace will be here!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, we are talking and practising, non-violence.
yes, there is much do do yet to prevent Israelis and Arabs from be dying as at the very moment.
yes, it is a long, sometime frustrating process,but it is going on.
yes, we in an urgent need to learn about each other, to accept, and to reconcile.
yes, there is a non-violent interaction between Israelis and Palestinians , just not yet between Israel and Palestine.
yes, there are many who tries to discourage us, but they do not and will not succeed.

and YES! I am not looking back - but forward all the time!!!!
I do not carry the past on my bent back - but going upright toward a better future.
I do not want to go back to the past-leaders' saying, with their mistakes - but looking for new ones with inspiration and wisdom and open minds.

Can't you see? I can't give up hope. I live here, this is my country which I love, I have neighbours who live near, who, I believe have their rights for disant life. I want to share life with them. I wish to have normal life like in many other countries. I do not want to give up!!!

Your way, which is of many - will take us down. will take us to a never ending story of wars/dead/misery.
We have said - ENOUGH!!!
We want to live in peace!!!!

The day I see Arabs in Judea/Samaria and Gaza and the wider world demonstrating and protesting for peace will be the day that I would embrace your approach. Sadly after 44 years of interaction and "understanding" it is not happening not even by the Israeli Arabs who are your neighbours and countrymen.

I do not object to your approach, even if I think it is very,very misguided but people in the so called peace camp are constantly undermining the majority in Israel who do not see it their way. Some even accepting money from Europe to undermine the duly elected government of Israel.

You believe that you can bring peace, your way than do so by enlarging the circle of like minded people in the Arab world and not just Jews in Israel , who will clutch at anything in the hope that it will bring peace. ...and please lets not toot our horn at any miniscule tiny accomplishment . JUST SHOW US  tangible results on the ground. After 80 years , sadly, I do not see any.

Like you, I have Arab friends and again sadly that does not bring us any closer to a solution or or peace.

Yes , we have had ENOUGH and we want to live in peace- but the Arabs must stop their terror and deligitamization and start negotiating in earnest for this to occur. The vast majority of Arabs do not want it at this time and poll after poll shows that. I say enough of Arab terror and murder and enough to have our children killing theirs in order to defend ourselves.

Lets not have peace but at least co-exist.

Co-existence is a great proposal. You don’t have to love your neighbours, you don’t even have to like your neighbours, in order to be good neighbours.

Here is the hard bit: the Palestinian refugees. I just tallied the numbers for all the refugee camps I could find - 1,496,751 refugees – not nearly as many as I imagined.

The UN, EU and USA will never agree to resettlement of these refugees outside Israel, they all come from within the Israeli area.

These people will have to be absorbed back into the pre-1967 borders. The land that will become Palestine is not large enough to support these refugees.

I cannot see any other way that will lead to peace, because these people did originally all have houses and work - within Israel, and they did not leave of their own volition. Even those few who did willingly leave, did so only temporarily, fully intending to return.

Until this refugee issue is settled, it is unlikely there will be peace.

So, maybe we are looking at co-existance, but not peace, for the time being.

Sussan

I can assure you, and my Jewish peacemakers here will surely agree, that the so called refugees will NEVER be absorbed in Israel , whatever its borders. I see no reason why Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and the other Arabs cannot absorb them, Israel did that with Jews that came from Arab countries?

Co-existence does not mean suicide and does not mean a Bi-national state that would , in any case be non functional.

If the Arabs insist on ROR than we have a long way to go to even co-exist.

In the meantime I want to see terror and militias dismantled in both Judea/Samaria/Gaza and Lebanon. Time is of the essence and certainly not in the Arabs favour. The Arabs need peace as much as Israel if not more so.

It is Israel’s choice whether or not to continue this war.

I was merely pointing out what would be necessary to establish a peaceful future. It has been evident for a long time that Zionists prefer war to peace.

It is true the refugees were a security risk to the new country, back in 1948; not because they could ever overthrow the Zionists militarily, but because they were a numerical majority, and could easily dominate in a democratic system. That was the ‘security’ issue then, and it is still the ‘security’ risk today. It is the only reason why these refugees were removed from their homes, it is the only reason why they were never allowed to return, and it is the only reason why Israelis constantly say they want these refugees accepted into Arab countries.

It is also the only reason why Israel encouraged – yes encouraged and actually paid for Jews in Arab countries – to migrate to Israel.

The Arab countries will not absorb the refugees, because they do not want to. that is all the reason they need. In truth, they have already absorbed many of these refugees, and paid a high price for doing so. It is Israel's turn to accept back those she evicted. the Partition Plan was NEVER about population transfer. It was always understood by everyone that the Arab people would stay in their homes and keep their jobs. That was even a promise by the UN - after the evictions.

For now, Israel has the choice - war or peace.

WOW.

Talk about historical revisionism. I guess the invasion by Six Arab armies and the promise to return to a Jew Free Arab State (I did not say Palestinian state by design) after all the Jews are massacred  had nothing to do with this.

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service