SUMMARY OF PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinate and supervise the Palestinian adult activities in the Good Water Neighbors Project.
Key areas of responsibility
Under the Direction of the FoEME Bethlehem Director, the GWN Coordinator oversees all adult aspects of the GWN project. Tasks include:
- Conducting consultations with municipal staff and community members and key stakeholders to identify priority initiatives, focusing on critical threats to the shared water environment of cross-border communities.
- Creating a project plan based on community consultations and plan activities accordingly.
- Accompanying, training and managing staff working locally in the FoEME GWN communities with adult and municipal groups on monthly basis.
- Overseeing and following up on all projects implemented and under implementation in the West Bank and Gaza.
- Leading tours in the GWN communities to draw attention to the challenges and explain the need for the suggested initiatives and lobby decision makers at local and national levels.
- Plan, lead and coordinate cross border activities in the topics of water, sanitation, agriculture, ecotourism and any other related fields.
- Work in coordination and planning with the Israeli and Jordanian GWN Coordinators and the local staff, as needed.
- Report on activities and collect information for reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- Masters degree is required in Water, Environment, Sustainable Development, International Relations, or a related field.
- Written and spoken English and Arabic fluency is mandatory. Fluency in Hebrew is an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a leadership position in formal or informal community work/development projects; specific experience in environmental policy or conflict resolution is an added advantage.
- Ability to travel all over the West Bank, Israel, Jordan, and if needed, Gaza.
- Excellent inter-personal and leadership skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask.
- Motivated for cross border activities, including peace building and environmental activities. Experience working in a cross-border/multilateral framework is an advantage.
- A deep understanding of Middle East politics and peace process issues is required.
- Can demonstrate through actions undertaken a deep commitment to environmental causes.
- Good knowledge about the Water supply and resources, sanitation, solid waste management and the overall environmental situation in the region.
- Ability to give presentations, attend local and international meetings, and meet with media groups to promote for FoEME vision and work.
- Good writing skills are necessary. Experience in writing policy papers and/or strategic plans is an advantage.
- Resident of the Bethlehem area or willingness to move and settle in Bethlehem.
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
- Cover letter relating to each of the required qualifications in both Arabic and English.
- CV in both Arabic and English.
- Any other documentation (e.g., letters of recommendation, essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned,) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Mr. Nader Khateb - (Palestinian Director)
Friends of the Earth-Middle East / WEDO
PO Box 421 - Bethlehem, Palestine
CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION: August 25, 2011
EcoPeace / Friends of the Earth Middle East provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.