mepeace.org

Yesterday, the UN has issued a report on the Gaza war. It accuses both Israel and Hamas of war crimes.

Here's an article about the report (from the British 'Guardian'):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/15/un-gaza-war-israel-hamas

The report itself:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/09/15...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions welcome!

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

[Comment: The author, Douglas Davis, was exiled from apartheid South Africa and is a member of the Board of the Jean Jacques Rousseau Institute. PmR]

The UN: Who Is Goldstone to Judge?
by Douglas DAVIS
October 24 2009

http://jjri.net/articles/320-The-UN-Richard-Richard-Goldstones-Carr...

Where exactly was Richard Richard, paragon of human rights, when my human rights were being comprehensively trashed in an interrogation room at the Security Police headquarters in Pretoria?

When Israeli tanks and troops rolled into Gaza, there was no doubt about the outcome of the conflict. Nor was there any doubt about who would be held responsible for using disproportionate force and deliberately harming civilians. Never mind that Israel was responding to years of rocket bombardments from Gaza on its civilian population; that it had long-since pulled all its troops and settlers out of Gaza; that the ruling Hamas movement refused to recognise the Jewish state and was pledged to its destruction; that Hamas was using its own population as human shields.

The United Nations Human Rights Council, which had been steadfastly silent about the human rights of Israelis suffering rocket attacks, quickly swung into action. It strongly condemned Israel’s Operation Cast Lead, which it said, ‘resulted in massive violations of human rights of the Palestinian people and systematic destruction of the Palestinian infrastructure’. Then it set up a commission to confirm its opinion.

Step forward Richard Goldstone, ‘a Jew who has supported Israel and its people all my life’, to head the commission. Last week, the human rights council graciously accepted its findings that Israel committed war crimes and may have committed crimes against humanity. Presto! The job was done.

Richard Goldstone will now be lionised from Pyongyang to Ouagadougou and all points between where the Oppressed of the Earth find succour. Streets will named after him, university chairs will be endowed in his honour and state medals will be struck for this great class-struggler. But to senior legal colleagues in South Africa, he will always be Richard Richard Goldstone.

Richard Richard ?

‘Oh yes,’ says a former senior colleague who was close to Goldstone for many years. ‘We believed that he saw himself as a future secretary-general of the United Nations. At the time, Boutros Boutros Ghali held the post, so it seemed a logical progression for Goldstone to become Richard Richard’.

It might appear unkind to doubt the purity of Goldstone’s motives in joining the human rights industry, poignantly as Israel’s excoriator-in-chief. But he is, it seems, regarded by colleagues who knew him well as an opportunist. And the record suggests they might be right. There is nothing in Goldstone’s biography to suggest that he was destined to become a Hero of the People, let alone a human rights champion. During his career, he has executed some canny intellectual and ideological manoeuvres, leveraging past accomplishments to propel himself further up the pole of seniority and celebrity.

While many of his countrymen were fighting against the apartheid regime, Goldstone was loftily administering the regime’s laws from the bench of the Supreme Court. The impression that he was at least ‘friendly’ towards the Nats gained weight when he was elevated to the appellate division.

‘I’m not suggesting he was ever a paid-up member of the Nationalist Party’, says his former colleague, ‘but he was very friendly towards the regime. There many more capable jurists who were never promoted – even if they had been prepared to accept such a position. The government just didn’t promote people to the bench if they were likely to prove an ideological embarrassment – particularly if they were, like Goldstone, Jews’.

Then, just as apartheid was reaching its tipping point, Goldstone jumped. He became chairman of the South African Standing Commission of Inquiry Regarding Public Violence and Intimidation, a position he used to publicise the evils of the apartheid regime and promote a new ANC-friendly persona (he pointedly refused to investigate ‘public violence and intimidation’ by the ANC.

Richard Richard was on the road to redemption. With Mandela in Power, Goldstone slid seamlessly on to the bench of the new South Africa’s highest court. Yet this was still not the summit of his ambitions. He was ready to burst on to the international stage, and in August 1994, he was appointed chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for both the Former Yugoslavia and for Rwanda. He had become a global brand.

But all that was simply to prepare him for an even bigger prize – head of the UN Human Rights Council’s inquiry into the Gaza conflict. And that is where it has all gone wrong. Goldstone was not invited to investigate the causes and consequences of the conflict, but rather, in the language of the mandate, ‘to investigate all violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law by the occupying power, Israel…’

There were two fatal flaws in this mandate: firstly, there was a blatant presumption of guilt by Israel; secondly, there was no mention of the role of Hamas in the conflict – the fact that the Israeli operation had been prompted by years of rockets attacks from Gaza (specifically after Israel ceased to be an occupying power).

Mary Robinson quickly spotted the problems when she turned down the job (five other candidates are said to have rejected it before it reached Goldstone). The former Irish president and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said she ‘felt strongly that the Council’s resolution was one-sided and did not permit a balanced approach to determining the situation on the ground.’

The thin veneer of legal respectability was blown apart by the evidence of Britain’s Colonel Richard Kemp, a former commander of the British forces in Afghanistan.

In a statement to the UN Human Rights Council, he declared that, ‘based on my knowledge and experience, I can say this: During Operation Cast Lead, the Israeli Defence Forces did more to safeguard the rights of civilians in a combat zone than any other army in the history of warfare. More than anything, the civilian casualties were a consequence of Hamas’ way of fighting. Hamas deliberately tried to sacrifice their own civilians. Israel had no choice apart from defending its people, to stop Hamas from attacking them with rockets’.

The Goldstone Commission could have seized the opportunity to examine the phenomenon of asymmetrical warfare and make a serious contribution to an issue that will provide a huge challenge for the West in the coming decades. Instead, it lapsed into clapped-out slogans.

Perhaps most painful for Goldstone is not the ridicule he has attracted for accepting the mission, but the painful personal dimension of his actions. Just as he cut himself adrift from the apartheid regime when he considered it prudent, he seems to have cut himself off from his Jewish and Zionist roots in accepting the Gaza commission.

Warren Goldstein, the chief rabbi of South Africa who, incidentally, has a PhD in human rights law, described the mission as a ‘sham’ which demonstrated a ‘complete lack of integrity and fairness… It looks like law,’ he declared, ‘but it is not. It is just politics’.

Closer to home, a longstanding family friend of Goldstone wrote to him in blunt language: the report, she said, ‘did not arise from ignorance or naivety. I am trying so hard to resist the conclusion that your role and report might represent a self-serving desire to ingratiate yourself for a more senior position in the… United Nations. If true – and one hopes that this is not the case – at what price’?

That is a deeply troubling question. As Goldstone’s former colleague told me last weekend: ‘Richard has always exercised an exquisite sense of judgement – he has always known precisely what was in his own self-interest’.

Meanwhile, I am left with my own very personal question: Where exactly was Richard Richard, paragon of human rights, when my human rights were being comprehensively trashed in an interrogation room at the Security Police headquarters in Pretoria? I was not in Rwanda, Yugoslavia or even in Gaza. That interrogation room was less a minute’s walk from Judge Goldstone’s Supreme Court.

© Douglas David & The Spectator, 2009

Douglas Davis, who was exiled from apartheid South Africa, is a member of the Board of the Jean Jacques Rousseau Institute.

Those interested in really discussing the UN Gaza report also known as The Goldstone Report may also want to read the blog The Goldstone Illusion -- by Moshe HALBERTAL (TNR -- November 6, 2009) and comment on that there or here...
Leaders of Taanit Tzedek Support Goldstone Report

Posted 10/15/2009 - 11:04 by Rabbi Brian Walt

Today is the fourth monthly fast day of Taanit Tzedek – Jewish Fast for Gaza. I am pleased to share the press release below that describes the statements that Rabbi Brant Rosen and I have made in support of the Goldstone Report and of the upcoming conference call for rabbis with Judge Goldstone that we have organized. I find that fasting reminds me throughout the day of the reality in Gaza. Please consider doing something today to alleviate that suffering. On our website you will find some suggestions. We would also appreciate you sending the press release below to friends, colleagues and members of your community.

May we all do whatever we can to end the Israeli blockade of Gaza.

PRESS REALEASE

LEADERS OF JEWISH GROUP SUPPORT GOLDSTONE REPORT;

RABBIS TO TALK WITH JUDGE GOLDSTONE

ABOUT UNITED NATIONS REPORT ON GAZA WAR

On Sunday October 18, Rabbis from across the country will participate in a conference call with Judge Richard Goldstone, the chair of the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict. The Report, which found that both Hamas and Israel had committed “war crimes” and possibly “crimes against humanity,” has generated a great deal of controversy in the American Jewish community and in Israel.

The Rabbinic conference call has been organized by Taanit Tzedek – Jewish Fast for Gaza, a monthly fast launched in July by a group of rabbis to protest Israel’s blockade of goods and services into Gaza. The conference call is co-sponsored by The Rabbinic Cabinet of Brit Tzedek, and Rabbis for Human Rights –North America.

Rabbi Brant Rosen and Rabbi Brian Walt, co-founders of Jewish Fast for Gaza, have both publicly supported the recommendations of the Goldstone Report calling on Hamas and Israel to launch a credible public investigation into the findings of the Report.

In an opinion piece in the Chicago Tribune “A Call to Moral Accounting,” Rabbi Rosen wrote, “Israel’s behavior in Gaza has consistently betrayed our shared Jewish ethical legacy. This was true before the war, when the Israeli blockade denied Palestinians basic necessities; it was true during the war, when Israel responded with disproportionate force to Hamas rockets; and it has been true since the war, as Israel has deepened the blockade, preventing Gazans from rebuilding their homes.”

Rabbi Rosen further called on America’s Jews, “to examine the Goldstone findings, and consider their implications. We must consider the painful truth of Israel’s behavior in Gaza, and understand that we must work, together, to discover the truth — and then urge on all relevant parties in the search for peace.”

Rabbi Brian Walt, who grew up in South Africa, organized the upcoming call with Judge Goldstone. Rabbi Walt said, “Goldstone has been long known for his work in the field of human rights law, as a judge on the Constitutional Court of the newly democratic South Africa and chief prosecutor in the International Criminal Tribunals on Yugoslavia and Rwanda. I have always seen this work, and the judge’s commitment to the impartial application of the rule of law, as a reflection of the Jewish heritage, in which our people rightfully takes great pride.”

Rabbi Walt acknowledged that it is very painful for Jews who care deeply about Israel to read the Goldstone Report and it was undoubtedly painful for Judge Goldstone to conduct this investigation. “I am confident that making these recommendation wasn’t easy for Judge Goldstone, as it cannot be easy for any person who cares deeply about Israel. But if we uphold human rights, we cannot expect the State of Israel to be exempt from international law. A true moral hero is one who follows the principles he believes in, even when it is uncomfortable or painful. Judge Goldstone has done just that, and as a South African-born Jew and rabbi, I am proud and grateful.”

The organizers of the call with Goldstone hope that it will server to stimulate new discussion among rabbis and in the Jewish community about the ethical issues discussed in the Report.

The Jewish Fast for Gaza was founded in July 2009 to break the silence in the Jewish community over the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, to end the Israel’s ongoing blockade, and to call for direct negotiations between Israel and all Palestinian parties, including Hamas, towards a negotiated peace settlement.

http://www.fastforgaza.net/node/93
Final Report
Independent fact-finding mission into violations of human rights in the
Gaza Strip during the period 27.12.2008 – 18.01.2009

The report was commissioned and organized by Physicians for Human Rights-Israel and PMRS

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWFiles2009.nsf/FilesByRWDocUnidFilenam...$File/full_report.pdf
rhe un report??? all the world saw the damges happened in Gaza who cares, killing policy in the whole world who cares no one, some or little cares but there is no change in the policy of the world, nature propbles happend in this world who cares, doese the report change and any thing in the ground nothing it seems there is no un when it reaches to human rights in all the world, there is no value for the human beings too much happened in Gaza in the un they where setting in chiars wonderfull how are the developed countries care and look after undeveloped countries, dose the un reprot open Gaza boraders, does the repoet make hamas and fateh one body, the answers no, then who is palying in my people blood, the truth sometimes shocked but many of all here will understandd what is going on
Sanah,

I talked with a friend in Gaza, he is Fatah member and get payed by the PA. he sit at home, and do nothing.

I suggested to him to orgenize activity for the people, with the Hamas people for the sake of the Gazans, so when the siege will end the Gaza economy and people spirit will be ready for creation of Palestine state ...

He said that this is imposiable, and that Hamas will not let such organization to be created ... why? I asked ... because they are Hamas and we are Fatah was the answer.

Thare is plany to be done by the world, and by Israel ... but the Palestinaisn must resolve the internal conflict expecting the world to come forward when the society is so splited is unreal.

for more practical request ... I update a post inder the name "Gaza today" to keep remind us that Gaza is under siege and that must change. .... I am looking for daily life non political pictures from within Gaza do you know any one who update the web with new pictures ?

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service