mepeace.org

Yesterday, the UN has issued a report on the Gaza war. It accuses both Israel and Hamas of war crimes.

Here's an article about the report (from the British 'Guardian'):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/15/un-gaza-war-israel-hamas

The report itself:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/09/15...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions welcome!

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See http://www.mepeace.org/xn/detail/661876:Comment:364574

And check for yourself the human rights credentials of the UN Human Rights Commission member States who set up and specified the scope of the Star-Chamber-like enquiry.`

Also see http://www.mepeace.org/forum/topics/palestine-problem-hopeless-but for some verifiable information about the standard of living and life expectancy in Gaza, and the West Bank!

Great? NO! Close to the top of the pops in the murky Muddle East Hitparade? YES!
Judge Richard Goldstone speaks to Al Jazeera on 15 September 2009

re focus this discussion
I agree with Neri,
This is a great topic yet, we need to re-focus the topic. I would like to see this in terms of two pages one on Israel and one on Palestine. The check list of findings to what dollar assessment they find. The generic pointing of fingers just doesn't bring diplomacy into action. I think if we allowed the courts to do their jobs and kept the political mind dogs out of the picture. We might see real justice and some formal laws created that could help others world wide. My question arises to the political groups that are using the media to support their causes; what do they not want us to find? What is missing?
This David Buskila, the mayor of Sderot don't know whats he is talking about. Sorry to say. It takes only few minutes to check this from UN site and found that even hamas attacks are condemned just like IDF attacks.
Mika,

we can compare the two situations, and see the vast difference, while Hamas is acting from oppressed community with claims of justice that need to be historically corrected, Israel act from a position of Justice that was corrected and wish to protect its assets.

this is not equal game nor it enable us to judge which is right and which is wrong, this is a war condition and we need to find ways to reduce the risk of actions that are criminal against civilians who we consider as innocent.

Hamas crimes cannot be avoided, the only option we give them is to accept the Zionist claims and accept Israel, how can they do that when their belief this is a crime by itself that the world abundant ?

But Israel crimes also cannot be avoided, what ever carfule the Israelis will be they will always hit people who are innocent, when they close Gaza they hold 1,500,000 people for the acts of some others.

Both sides need to stop war activities, but we cannot stop them when their positions are so confrontational. and sadly it does not help to blame them both as "equals" as Israel is a nation state with obligation to other nations and cannot hold "crime against humanity" while the Hamas are freedom fighters who do not have any responsibility to others just for their cause. so when you will try to punish them you will find yourself doing more crimes against civilians.

rally sad indeed; but this path of "legal aggression" will not help Gaza nor Israel; we need the Palestinians to unite and the Israelis to abandon the settlements. this is what need to be done and not conducting legal assaults which will lead to more violance that we will not be able to even criticize from Israel and from Hamas.
I agree with you totally. I just pointed out this Sderot mayor saying that hamas attacks are not condemned by UN. Which ain't true.
if it was you and me we may be able to resolve this conflict, but reality is that the conflict is bigger then us and connect to different forces within our societies.

The politicians and other opinionated people are playing a blame game, facts are less important as they speak to audience which already decided who is good and who is bad in this deadly conflict.
if it was you and me we may be able to resolve this conflict, but reality is that the conflict is bigger then us and connect to different forces within our societies.

The politicians and other opinionated people are playing a blame game, facts are less important as they speak to audience which already decided who is good and who is bad in this deadly conflict.

Absolutely ;). There is unfortunately in both sides same pattern on blame and demonization to other side. As well there is as you mentioned, political aspect which prevents any breakthrough to solving this conflict. Both sides stick in trench where any concession to other side is looked as weakness of this side, and their political opponent can make claim that we are giving to other side too much. And allways there is coming next elections, where that political opponent can use that as a hammer and "remember what happened last summer" etc.

Nice political deadlock. And international players ? We would need a player that would come and say that now we park our asses to chair, and we don't lift them up before we have a agreement & names in the paper. You need to go toilet ? Use diaper ;)

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service