mepeace.org

Vision -- How concepts -- How can we achieve what we want (the Vision)?

The purpose of this discussion is discuss in general terms HOW we should and can all work together to archive what we'd all like to achieve.

For now this discussion should be just a place for ideas about HOW we can work together constructively and with minimal friction in a highly charged and controversial environment.

Note that some practical initiatives and projects are already under way.

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

Here are my initial thoughts about this topic.

The only people who can make peace are those who now live in what was the British Mandate of Palestine. They are the ones who will have to live with that peace and pay the price. We can only help BOTH Palestinians and Israelis find a viable way of living together in peace by helping to demystify the other. To do that, people must get to know each other and became aware of and accept differences. AND DO SOME THINGS TOGETHER THAT PRODUCE REAL RATHER THAN SIMPLY FEELGOOD RESULTS.

• I clearly do not see http://www.mepeace.org simply as a way of trying to help Palestinians. That seems to be the sole purpose of some here. I find that single-minded aim of some here not helpful.
  • I see http://www.mepeace.org as a way of trying to help BOTH Palestinians and Israelis find a viable way of living together in peace.
  • Like the real peace seekers here, I do not think that sanctimoniously bashing Muslims, Islam, Jews, Israelis, the IDF, or anyone else is conducive to peace seeking and then peacemaking.
  • This community will never work effectively unless the incitement is minimized and its members actually try to do some constructive things together. I do not think that attempting to honestly confront real issues should be considered to be inciteful.
  • I do not consider having a different point of view inciteful. Some here clearly do.

The propensity of some here to simply incite is one of my main current concerns!

I beleive that some joint projects between Israelis and Palestinians can produce a good effect on the long run, we can start with some small projects and move to bigger ones as we achieve more acceptance and become more recognized by the both socities Israel and Palestine.

Awareness about what peace is about and what it can bring to us is one of the projects we need to work at among ignorant categories in both sides.
Yes Hiba!

Joint projects between Israelis and Palestinians can produce tangible results, can help build healthy relationships between people with issues with each other, and can help to demystify and de-demonise the other.

Joint projects are just one of the very many conceptual ways that a site like mepeace.org should help to facilitate.

So now let's focus on the topic of this discussion which is How can we achieve what we want (the Vision)?

One generalized and conceptual answer to that question, based upon your suggestion, then is: Facilitate viable joint projects that produce tangible results.
And these joint projects must be as a result of cooperation between people from both sides that are directed to common issues between them, such as environment, education, human rights, and women issues..... etc. things that touches the social part of our lives rather than the political one which we already had enough of it.
As an hypothesis, let's say that resolving the Israeli / Palestinian conflict is on the same order of difficulty as bringing peace to the world. If you can do the one, you can do the other. This opens up a whole new strategic approach. What say if mepeace participants were to use their connections to persuade Sri Lankan Tamils and Buddhists to set a similar ning site. Then Indians and Pakistanis could have a site to discuss Kashmir. Where else? US and Iran? Where else? Then we bring all the participants into a worldpeace site. By doing this, world peace and middle east peace movements would strengthen each other.

Moreover, as a way for Israelis and Palestinians on mepeace to share a goal and work together, such a project would build good feeling. It is an idea, anyway.
I'd like to think that "resolving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is" not quite "on the same order of difficulty as bringing peace to the world."

Theoretically, I am quite sure that my qualification (not quite) is logicallly accurate. On a practical level though, I may even agree with you, Roger. :-)
When parties are in conflict, they develop a kind of tunnel vision and cannot rise above their situation to see the big picture. Seems to me that Israelis and Palestinians have much more in common than they realize, including some very pressing issues having to do with global climate change and the possibility of inadvertent nuclear disaster, such as an accidental war between the U.S. and Russia. There are a lot of people working on the big picture - such as the Global Commons people. Why not a joint Israeli and Palestinian effort along the same lines, perhaps even as part of the Global Commons Coalition? Maybe the tunnel vision precludes looking at the big issues, but on the other hand, maybe a joint effort on global issues will allow the participants to shake off this tunnel vision and see clearly how to make peace.
Yes Roger.

People with tunnel vision see only trees and do not see the forrest. This is one of the basic conceptual problems in any conflict or even a rocky personal relationship.

I think that the tunnel vision concept should really be discussed on this site by all present rather than just by members of this now very small group. OTOH, most here just want score tree-like points. Worse still, some are just unwilling or unable to understand or focus on general concepts.
The "Tunnel vision" concept is just one of the very many conceptual discussions that a site like mepeace.org should help to facilitate.

So now let's focus on the topic of this discussion which is How can we achieve what we want (the Vision)?

One generalised and conceptual answer to that question, based upon your suggestion, then is: Faciliate respectful discussions of conflict resolution issues and concerns.
If we take a rest from politics and focus on regular people with regular needs then the 2nd one will lead to affect the 1st one and both sides will start to recognize how much in common do they have and how much they can share.

We shall start from small points and expand to thinking of world peace, lets 1st start to focus on our socities and our conflict.
The projects must necessarily be small initially. The concepts and intent need not be so limited. :-)

One generalised and conceptual formulation based upon your suggestion is: Identify and focus on the very many common and shared aspirations and needs..
the sub-brains are building the global brain. we just need to open the links ;)

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service