mepeace.org

The purpose of this discussion is to discuss and learn about this planning process so that we are all trying to do the same things here in a way that everyone here understands, supports, and can agree with...

The attached mission samples were produced for and with people who had no modern business experience or exposure to formal planning processes. So with patience and goodwill we can produce something that is conceptually similar for mePEACE.org. The attached samples have no jargon. Anyone should be able to understand their message. In this example the formal mission simply was and is: The COA is a self-help organisation of Jewish people providing older Jewish people their own special place for companionship and support.

The mission summary page is limited to broad concepts. The mission detail page summarises what the organsation does to fulfill its mission according to the values and style (a how) stated or implied in the mission. Note also that they both fit on one page.

Views: 21

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

First, is the example clear and would something like that about mePEACE.org add value to mePEACE.org?

==PmR
Yes it is;
and yes it would.

The question is, does our fearless founder want to do that?
Or are there some other issues at stake behind the scenes,
of which we're unaware?

I suggested to Max that we set up a subgroup within mepeace of people who ascribe to certain basic principles, including not advocating in favor of any violence not truly necessary for self defense, and not supporting the denial of any of the basic human rights (Speech, press, peaceable assembly, religion, due process, equal protection under the law, and property).
Then having that group get involved in real programs on the ground, like Abed's Women's rights group, and the Barenholzes' home hospitality program.

What do you think?
Hi Yigal..

Your suggestion is a detailed HOW idea.

It is valid and important as a point for the discussion Vision -- How concepts -- How can we achieve what we want (the Vision)? which is at http://www.mepeace.org/group/mepeaceplan/forum/topic/show?id=661876...

I trust that you understand that I am not nitpicking but am simply trying to show how the process works. :-)
Ok.
Do you know HOW to set up such a sub-group in a way that membership is by invitation only?
What should the mission statement be? What I wrote above, or more detailed?
That is fine. Just do it, in parallel with the planning process. No need to wait.
I would add two other basic human rights: liberty of movement and preservation of livelihood.
Maybe class livelihood under property and freedom of religion (religion shall be no bar to employment in any position in the state...). Nonetheless, I agree.
Mobility is a basic freedom too.
So is the right to appeal government decisions to an independent tribunal - a lot fits under due process.
But I didn't want to list all basic freedoms in the mission statement.
First let's agree that there are such things as fundamental human rights,
irrespective of culture, religion, nationality or ethnicity,
to be more fully laid out - along the lines set out above - later.
Ah, the definition of mobility.
The right to mobility is in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
It is the right to leave one's country, or to move about within it.
It does not assure anyone of free airplane tickets or gas refills, and no "get out of jail free card."
JC please have a look a the samples. Do thye make sense conceptually for you?

This discussion is simply about the planning processes generally and not about what mepeace.org should be about.
Yes, I find mission statements to always be crucial and catalystic.
Yep. It is obvious that many different points of view and agendas are presented and represented here. On balance, that can be very good. But only if those differences can be focused towards producing constructive and concrete results.

Open and respectful discussion of relevant issues alone can increase understanding. That alone can be constructive. And is enough for some. For many here though that simply is not enough. All of those perspectives are theoretically valid. The question seems to be whether any lines should drawn and if so where.
I've got from a friend of me following info which i found interesting for any grass-roots organisation attempts for social change beside http://seedsforchange.org.uk/free/resources!

Chaordic Organizations
Chaordic organizations are needed to face the situations that we see. Chaordic organizations "Are based on clarity of shared purpose and principles. • Are self-organizing and self-governing in whole and in part. • Exist primarily to enable their constituent parts. • Are powered from the periphery, unified from the core. • Are durable in purpose and principle, malleable in form and function. • Equitably distribute power, rights, responsibility and rewards. • Harmoniously combine cooperation and competition. • Learn, adapt and innovate in ever expanding cycles. • Are compatible with the human spirit and the biosphere. • Liberate and amplify ingenuity, initiative and judgment. • Are compatible with and foster diversity, complexity and change. • Constructively utilize and harmonize conflict and paradox. • Restrain and appropriately embed command and control methods." Learn more about chaordic organizations ...

If you do not have a copy of Hock's book, One From Many (or The Birth of the Chaordic Age), please consider reading an outline of One From Many to glean some of the major ideas and wisdom discussed therein.

In summary, the writer of a book review of The Birth of the Chaordic Age states Hocks claim that "We live in such a complex world, that our relationships, too, will be too complex to allow agreement much beyond intent." Consequently, Hock recommends we need to begin to explore things 1. as they were; 2. as they are; 3. as they might become; and 4. as they ought to be. And we need to carefully discern old assumptions and beliefs that are now false or no longer serve us.

Chaordic Leadership
Leaders of chaordic organizations can encourage grassroots innovation by knowing how to wisely view relationships, communication, motivations, results, diversity, letting go, etc. Learn more about chaordic leadership ...

Chaordic Design
The design of a chaordic organization begins with deep questioning. "If anything imaginable were possible, if there were no constraints whatever, what would be the nature of an ideal institution to accomplish our purpose?" Learn more about the chaordic design process ...

Visa's purpose was to "create the world's premier system for the exchange of value." How can we state our shared purpose in a similarly powerful way?

The first step: Develop a Statement of Purpose
"The first step is to define, with absolute clarity and deep conviction, the purpose of the community. An effective statement of purpose will be a clear, commonly understood statement of that which identifies and binds the community together as worthy of pursuit. When properly done, it can usually be expressed in a single sentence. Participants will say about the purpose, 'If we could achieve that, my life would have meaning.'"

Links
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Dee_Hock
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Chaordic_Organizations_-_Characteristics
http://wiki.aardrock.com/One_From_Many
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3668133/Birth-of-the-Chaordic-Age

RSS

Translate mepeace.org

Latest Activity

Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post

Cruise Ships for Peace in The Middle East

By Teresa Studzinski, Arlene J. Schar, and Dr. David Leffler Variations of this article were…See More
Nov 6
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Oct 29
Mauricio San Miguel Llosa updated their profile
Oct 4
Amir Salameh updated their profile
Jun 25
Fredda Goldfarb updated their profile
Apr 15
Dr. David Leffler posted a blog post
Apr 9

Search mepeace.org

"Like" us on Facebook

Promote MEPEACE online

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Eyal Raviv. Supported by One Region, One Future.   ..

Feedback | Report an Issue  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service